RDP connection drop during VPN connection

Discussion in 'Networks' started by HTF, Mar 21, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

I have a server (W2K3 Ent.) at home with VPN enabled. When I RDP to the client PC (not from home) and then I atttempt to connect to my server at home via VPN connection (still during RDP session to client) the RDP connection is drop and I lost connection with the client but the VPN is established as the client is VPS so I can log on locally and check. When I just disconnect from VPN, RDP connnection is resored. When I RDP to the client from home instead (where is VPN server) everything is fine with the RDP and also VPN connection. I didn't find any particular error in the logs. Any idea why is like that?

Thx

Certifications: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you ping the server by IP address after the VPN connection is established?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thx for reply

It's really odd I just tested from home. I RDP to machine at work then I connected via VPN to server at home and everything is fine. I can ping client and server. When I RDP to the same client from work and then establish VPN connection to the server at home I lost connection and I couldn't ping client. I was not able to ping server from work as it's behind router/firewall.

4. Sparky

Do you RDP onto a server *then* start the VPN? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Yes, exactly because when the VPN connection is established I'm not able RDP to it .
    The VPN itself looks fine as I can establish connection from any machine if I'm logged on locally but via RDP only if the session is from home where VPN server is located.:rolleyes:

6. Sparky

Ahh, think I get it now. Is there an option for split tunneling in the VPN?

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Detick use Default Gateway for Remote Client in Advanced TCP/IP Settings, if it's a PPTP connection.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thank you for help, that works, may I ask for the explanation why it's like this? ;)

9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Basically when it's ticked you are using the Default Gateway off the Server your logging into for your internet traffic (anything apart from the local subnet).

If you untick this then only traffic for the Remote Subnet will go over the VPN, everything else will go via your own Router.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  10. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thx ;)

One more thing:
    The server is on private network 192.168.1.0 /24. When I set the server to obtain the IPs for the VPN from DHCP I can also connect to the PCs behind the server/router. To test it I change this settings and I assigned static IPs from range 10.0.0.0-10 for the VPN and now I can connect to VPN server but not to PCs behind it as there are still on range 192... What is the way to work this out? Do I have to create some routes?

Regards

11. Sparky

Is there reason why you need to do this?

12. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

No, I'm just curious ;) so is it actually possible?

Also I can't get the IP filters to work:

VPN server:
    - public IP 94..xxx.xxx.xxx
    - VPN private IP 10.0.0.1

VPN client:
    - public IP 213.xxx.xxx.xxx
    - VPN private IP 10.0.0.2

So I've set rules on the VPN server external NIC as follow:
    Inbound filters:
    Source address: 213.xxx.xxx.xxx, destination address IP 94..xxx.xxx.xxx and then any ports
    - this is as a drop all packets except those that meet the criteria below
    Outbound filters:
    Source address: 94..xxx.xxx.xxx, destination address IP 213.xxx.xxx.xxx and then any ports
    - this is also as a drop all packets except those that meet the criteria below

I don't have any connection at all with this configuration and when I set to:
    - receive all packets except those that meet the criteria below
    I have the connection but it's not drop it bettwen those IPs above :rolleyes:

I've also tried some other configs but I wasn't ever able to get the connection with option to drop except... even if I've set these filters exceptions :dry