Ratio of IT Department Workers To Overall Users?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Just a little post to gauge your working life in IT, since we have quite a few new members :)

What is the ratio of IT staff to users at your place of work?

For us, it's 1350 users (at our main establishment) + 210 users (at another establishment that we're contracted to support). So 1560 users for the grand total of 2 people in the IT department to support, a ratio of 1:780.

No wonder I'm so tired at the end of each day, lol

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You have it all wrong mate. Of the 1560, I support 60, so you could say for your part it's 1:1500. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Kitkatninja

Is it those 60 fit women? No wonder I never see them, lol :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I see who got the better deal then? :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If it's just pure support, no developpment team or anything like that then it's 1:200. We are two support team members and support 400 people.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

With the same lines as the Prof - if you take out development, etc, and just count those that field the calls, it's probably around 1:100 where I am.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Nah, it's the 60 members of staff who are off sick at any point in time. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

We have over 12,000 PC's, not sure exactly how many users.

So based around that its 30ish members of staff dealing with approx. 400 each.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

rite now theres 2 people supportin just over 1,000 users.

1:500 is the ratio then but may soon become 1:330 if another tech gets brought in any time soon.

:)

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

for the SD i was at, it was about 90odd:110,000*users (*user base was calculated in 2006). then we have other support teams, like developers, hardware engineers, BT, etc for different type of problems. Not quite sure how this is worked out like.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

:hhhmmm lets see there's over 4000 users and 6 members in the team of hardware and software, excluding management. so...that's :blink err..where's the calculator..I 'm not sure my brain can handle maths at this time of the night let alone typing correctly on a keyboard:oops:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Roughly 1:666

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

OMG that's the number of the beast - Iron maiden classic tune!:p:twisted:

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Thats what the NHS users say about their IT support! 666! :twisted: :p

15. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

That's cheating Ken ...

You *know* it is meant to be the number of active users at any time ... mainly the number of client machines you have to support.

My guys support less users than you two (only just) but half again the number of machines ... and that is before we talk about student owned laptops that are used within the school (250+)

Admittedly there is a team of 5 1/2 people on this though.

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Where did you get the half a person from? A volunteer to be sawn in half that went badly wrong? :twisted:

17. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

We have 1 Network Manager, 2x Assistant Network Managers (Senior techs who get a slightly better grade with the job title but are growing into the role), 1x placement students from local(ish) Uni, 1x term-time only AV / general Tech and one part-time, term-time only body who does updates to the website (not coding) and the paperwork / admin for the team.

A heck of a lot better than most other schools ... but still hard pressed when you consider that this lot, like many schools, do most of their stuff in-house and are first, second and third line.

18. Kitkatninja

Actually no, I was wondering on the total user base that IT teams had to support.

Simply being in education (or any other field) just because the user isn't logged on doesn't mean that the person's (or that class) is not being supported.

For instance user files/data that needs to be restored (whether it's Office files or e-mail restoration, etc), you can't drop what you're doing just to restore that users files if you're working on the MIS system for example. Or installation of a particular software product for that individual or class/group, you'd prepare that in advance (creating .msi packages, etc) and not just when they are on the PC's. Besides our e-mail system can be accessed anywhere in the world, as well as terminal services and soon our library system, so in theory we can have more people logged on to one of our systems than PC's we actually have - they are using our systems so we support the user in that case (provided it's an issue within our remit, we don't support home users internet connect, etc). Otherwise if they have a problem with accessing the systems outside of school (because we would only support my own client machines), we would disregard the problem.

What about the phone system, we support that in-house, so does that mean that each staff member that has a phone counts as 2? And what about a member of staff that has his/her PC in school, but connects to a TS session, would that count as 2?

And taking the above into consideration my original number still stands :biggrin

-Ken

19. Mr.Cheeks

Nah man, Mini Me!

[​IMG]

20. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

I did try to come up with some sort of weighting system for support in schools ... XP on a vanilla domain is worth 5 points etc ... but trying to gather enough evidence on it with the different possibilities of how IT is implemented and used in schools was nigh on impossible.