Random A+ Question #1

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Mar 3, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been brushing up on my elementary file system knowledge and saw some fairly obvious questions I could introduce here. Probably won't be doing a QOTD thing...at least not regularly, but I decided not to pass up the opportunity. Here we go:

Of the choices listed below, which are NOT true when using multiple partitions on a hard drive?

1. If one partition becomes damaged, the other partitions are also corrupted.

2. If you must reformat one partition, the other partitions are unaffected.

3. Data backups are easier if you keep all your data on a separate partition than your system files.

4. File system checks are unaffected at boot since all files are examined regardless of which partition they occupy.

5. Log or e-mail files which tend to grow rapidly can be prevented from taking over all available hard drive space by placing them on a separate partition.

Answer tomorrow.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

My choice would be numbers 1 and 4.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. law123

law123 Byte Poster

:hhhmmm Not very sure but I would say 5 as emails do not lie on HD so would not take up HD space. :unsure

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I'm gonna go with 1, 4 and 5

If we are talking complete HD space, the files will take up the same amount of space, regardless of what partition they are on. Therefore stating that by moving them to another partition on the same HD will save space is wrong.

Gee, I hope I read that correctly, it's 2:50 am and I should really be in bed, not posting lol

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. arvy

arvy Bit Poster

i will agree with punkboy. 1,4 and 5.
    moving large files to another partition on the hard drive will still use the same total space.
    if 1 partition is damaged the others are fine.
    not 100% sure of number 4 but certain files, such as boot files have to be in the correct partition, eg, io.sys, ntldr, in the boot partition. Hope i read that correctly.
    Arvy.

Certifications: compTIA A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Time's up. Correct answers are 1 and 4. According to my source material, it is advisable to put rapidly growing files on a separate partition so you don't risk them taking over your whole hard drive. The worst that happens is that you end up filling one partition and when you see it filling, you can delete the files or move them to a roomier space. Emails in this context are considered rapidly growing files (as my inbox will attest to).

In regards to question 4, putting data files on a separate partition does affect boot time since there will be fewer file system checks.

Source: http://domrep11.tripod.com/orange.htm

The "Orange Book" is a free resource but you'll have to download it to read it. Thanks for participating, folks. You never know when the next Random QOTD will pop up. Be prepared. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Woo hoo. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685