RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Guys,

I have a similar post to this, but it is not the same.

Question: My download machine has 2x64mb of Ram to make it 128mb.

Can i shove 2 x 128 (diff speeds and type) of RAM to make it 256?

This machine has only 2 banks.

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no way.. the speeds is enough to give you a few beeps.. last week i added 256MB into a client PC... they had 256Mb in @ 133Mhz... both Kingston BUT they also had different access times.. 7ns and the other 5ns.. just to make sure we phoned kingston and they told us no way it will work.. RAM is fussy.. i try my best to get exact memory otherwise replace it all...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You could go to Crucial and see how much it would cost to get new memory. Just an idea. 8)

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Actually, I just thought about this, you should be able to install 2 x 128 sticks to get the memory up to 256, so long as both of the sticks are compatible with the system what should happen (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it will automatically work at the lower speed.

Like I said though, I might be wrong. :rolleyes:

I suggest you try it and see! :biggrin

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm with Simon,

The way I understood it was that unless you are dealing with RAMBUS, you could mix and match.

:biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

To be honest, and IMHO, it's really hit and miss on this issue. If you use cheap, unbranded RAM, you will prob run into some problems along the way, but if you are using decent RAM, then even at different speeds, you should be able to get some kind of compatibility.

As an example, in my server at the mo, I have a good stick of 256Mb PC133, another decent brand of 128Mb PC100, and an ancient stick of 32Mb PC100 that all run together fine (yeah, I know I am most likely running at the PC100 speed, but thats not an issue on this old workhorse). Sorry I cant provide brand names from memory (boom boom !!) but I think they are all half-decent makes at least.

Just illustrating the fact that it can be done :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to suck it and see, if it does work, then be vigilant about monitoring the stability. If the PC does crash, or become unstable, I would suspect the RAM caused it.

You might have to play with the BIOS settings for RAM speed and select the lower of the two.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

how?? :eek: :blink does this all depend on mobos too? i mean time and time again the access time plays a part when i do memory upgrades and i always make sure they run at the same speeds! :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

What make and model is the motherboard?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I thought it will run on the lower speed, but i'll give it a go, if it incompat then i'll get bag them away...

Make and Model to come tonight -

Buying RAM - although it is cheap, i not going to, the computer runs ok with the 128 init, but its kinda gets clogged with the d/ling - though if the same works, then game on, if not, then....
    ...nothing?

11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Several times in the past I have run memory with different speeds on the same motherboard. It all comes down to wether or not the mobo will support this or not. As Simon said earlier, if it will, then it will generally run at the speed of the slowest stick of ram.

Ideally you should run the same speed etc.. but ideal setup's can cost allot more. :)

I know you are trying to be helpful m8, but don't automatically assume that because it didn't work in one PC that it won't work in any other PC's under different circumstances. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada