RAM upgradation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arunram, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

If we have 4 DDR2 slots and is it possible to have four different memory RAMs such as 256,512,1GB and 2GB in each slot or all the slots should hold the RAM of same memory?..

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

down load the crucial.com System Scanner tool It tell you if can have max and what it for maxim gig per slot. also show price of stick as singles or pairs

3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Generally have all the same as others have said but it really depends on what your motherboard says it will take and in what combinations. May also be affected by any bios flashes you have done.

Not to dispute what Crucial (or others) may say but I'd always go by the manufacturerer of your board.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. redstar

redstar Bit Poster

I've never yet came across a board where i haven't been able to use varying amounts of ram in different slots.
    It's recommended by manufacturers though that you should use the same amount and make in each slot you use.

Me recommends reading the mainboard manual and/or visiting Crucial as suggested above. :D

Certifications: None
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I personally would'nt agree with this mate, alot of peope would look at the specs in the manual and be baffled. At least with the crucial site it makes the process extremely simple and you have a 100% guarantee, so what is there to loose? :)

You could mix and match the RAM if you want but the system will run at the speed of the slowest stick. Ive also had stability issues in the past that have been caused by mismatched RAM so i always stick to matched pairs now.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I have - loads of times, particularly with cheaper m/b's

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. Matt

Matt New Member

It does depend on your laptop computer. But in my experience I've always tried to get equal RAM in each slot. I agree with the above posts, have a look at Crucical's online scanner. It does keep things simple and it will tell you what RAM you can use. Besides with RAM being inexpensive you may be able to get equal RAM in all your slots for relatively low cost. It's worth the investment in the end.
    Matthew, HP

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Who mentioned laptops?
    That's a pretty crude attempt at spam.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3