RAM Timings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pheonicks56, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

So after building my first rig back in '06 I have finally "fixed" it. Ever since I built it I have had really odd BSODs constantly that always pointed to the RAM, my machine would work fairly well for awhile and then randomly either BSOD or restart. I always figured it was the RAM but never really had the cash or determination to fix the problem. I finally buckled down and took a look through all my options. I decided since I was on the subject might as well upgrade my CPU from my old Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4Ghz to a brand new shiny Phenom II x4 920. Still waiting for it to come in I figured ok that should help me out some, I thought for the longest time that my CPU was killing the machine as well since every time I got up to 100% for any longer than 30 seconds or so I would crash. Well I took a look at my timings and realized that my DRAM voltage was low, these sticks are rated at 2.1, so I fixed that along with my timings and now I haven't been able to crash my rig in three days, no matter how much I throw at it. Well all in all after almost 3 years I finally have a great fully functioning rig with a brand new quad core proc on the way!

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

have you overclocked this rig?

When you increase the FSB the speed of the ram changes (can be higher or lower) so changing the voltage is needed. My ram is rated at 1066MHz but I have my cpu at 4GHz as I raised the FSB to 443 my RAM is running at 1064MHz and voltage is 2.1v.

You can download a program called memtest86 which is an .iso and you burn the iso to disc when you boot your computer slect it to boot from cd and memtest will check your memory for errors.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Try updating your BIOS. When you install RAM, your system should automaticaly detect the type of ram, timings, voltage, etc and adjust accordingly.
    Although your PC crashing everytime you crank it up to full load sounds more like a cooling problem.

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Never overclocked, my rig has always been too unstable to do so, it also runs extremely hot. Sitting at idle the CPU is at 43 C. I also have used memTest86 dozen of times, the problem is my machine crashed about 1/3 of the way through a single pass so that didn't really ever do me much good. No I've run memTest86 through a dozen passes over night with the timings and voltage set correctly and it's working like a charm, no errors found.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

43c is not out of the ordinary,it's a regular temperature that you can see day in day out.
    extremely hot is 70c upwards.

Mine runs at just under 40c idle,my cooling is excellent for such a small pc,i use a shuttle pc where there is no space at all inside,so to be recording figures like mine in a shuttle is good.

some artic silver spread properly should bring the 43c down to 30+c,37c may'be.
    But it's not bad as it is just now.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep my overclocked rig runs at 37c idle and maxes out under full wack at 56c (using prime95 for 7 hours) although I do have exellent cooling:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?