Raise domain functional level

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Sparky, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, so I need to upgrade a Windows 2003 DC from mixed mode to Windows 2003 native mode. There is only one DC and there is no danger of any NT Servers being introduced to the forest.

I checked on AD how to raise the functionality but is there anything else I need to know? I’m doing the upgrade tonight and I have a full backup tape to hand if needed! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you raise the functional level to 2003 native simply make sure that the only servers that will be DC's are running W2K3.

There's nothing much more to it really. Below is a guide to the different functional levels.

http://www.petri.co.il/understanding_function_levels_in_windows_2003_ad.htm

8)

3. Sparky

All done and all working ok, phew!

Just got a phone call from a remote user that can’t connect to the VPN and claims its because I changed the domain functionality. The VPN stops on the firewall so in theory I could take the DC out (the firewall is also set up for DHCP for VPN users) and the user could still connect. The phone call was fun.

Could I BE anymore stressed out? Probably not :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

knew nothing of this until reading the link, cheers Si :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sparky

I briefly had to deal with this a while ago when a NT domain was being migrated to 2k but nothing since.

It was a simple process and doesn’t even require a reboot (I rebooted anyways) but I always hate the “You cannot go back no matter what” changes :biggrin

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

A can feel the shiver down your spine. :knife

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT