Quick xp install Q?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pheonicks56, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

So I have a compaq whose HDD went belly up, I just ordered a new HDD from newegg.com and am waiting for it to arrive to install. I don't have any original disks that came with the laptop so no xp disk to install from. I've got the activation code for a copy of XP Home on the bottom of the system. If I pop my XP pro disk in and try to install and use the XP Home code on the bottom of the laptop will it install XP Home or am I gonna have to track down a genuine copy of Home?

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi

yes you will need a XP Home disk.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  3. Pheonicks56

anyone know somewhere I could download the files. I've got an authentic activation code, just need the files to make a boot disk.

4. Pheonicks56

I think I've solved my problem... Thanks for the advice though.

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

what did you do?

6. Pheonicks56

Found the files on the intarwebs.

7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Did it work? You might run into problems if they dont have the same service pack etc as the codes change, also OEM and retail versions have different codes.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Pheonicks56

It'll be fine since it's a fresh install on a brand new HDD, plus their not getting a single bit of data back from the old drive. It was physically damaged, I asked the customer if she had dropped the thing or anything like that and she played dumb. But for some reason all of a sudden the laptop starts a loud clicking as soon as you turn it on, which was later found to be the HDD, and it won't boot.

She's just going to have to live with losing her data, at least this was her backup PC, her main is a desktop.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As said mate the product key you get on the laptop needs to match up with the media type. For example if the media is from the full boxed version of Windows XP home its unlikely it will work with the key you have which is probabaly OEM.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Pheonicks56

Sorry for the misunderstanding, no it works, I tried it on a VM and it went through np.