quick virus question

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by zxspectrum, Jul 13, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Could a virus hide as an mp3 tune at all, i know they hide in stuff like software etc and certain files , but ive never thought of them being in mp3 files or other certain music files for that matter, ie ogg files and wma etc :twisted:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

A virus can reside in any type of file that exists on your computer, that is the nature of a virus. 8)

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

and it will play music that you enjoy, and the virus will enjoy $crewing your computer up! both parties are happy! :biggrin

4. zxspectrum

Well ive had viruses and even trojans etc on my com at various times, tho none seem to have donw any major damage, what are the worst ones about, one that physically cripples your com ??

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For a single PC the blaster virus springs to mind, it would shut down your PC when you connected to the internet so downloading the patch to fix it was quite difficult! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i once had a virus that deleted .mp3s! :(

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. zxspectrum

now if i got that virus, id personally see to it that the person who wrote it woud never be able to write a virus again, even though finding out who wrote it and where they lived etc would be a task and a half lol.

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Generaly viruses are rare in application files such as MP3.

The only exception to this has been some JPGs when viewed in M$ apps (are you surprised?).

The virus has to either 'run' or be so badly formed deliberately that unpacking data causes a buffer overrun.

It has been the fashion with MP3, for example, to add many tags to describe the content. If your player ignores those, either by setting or ignorance, then you are unlikely to have problems.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+