QUICK QUESTION

Discussion in 'A+' started by spy22, Oct 28, 2007.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Hello all,

:blink I have come across a conflict of information in my notes and books etc and would appreciate any help.

With regards to SCSI devices, if two HDD exist on a chain does it actually matter which link on the chain they exist on or does it ONLY matter that the have been set as MASTER/SLAVE and that the last device has been terminated? Also do all empty attachments have to be terminated??

Thankyou

SPY22

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

There isn’t a master\slave config for SCSI mate, every device has to have a unique SCSI ID though.

You don’t have to worry about terminating connections. Basically you will have a dedicated SCSI card or a SCSI connector on the motherboard and when the system boots it will scan the devices on the SCSI cable and you can see this before the Windows splash screen appears.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The ends of SCSI chain need to be terminated.

The chain needs a SCSI controller or host adapter (whatever you want to call it) to talk to the PC

You set the IDs on the controller and the drive.

Edit: termination should be set when the PC scans the settings

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks alot for speedy reply!!

yep just realised where i was mixing my notes up...oops. thanks :oops:

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, its worth noting on modern SCSI devices you dont need to set the SCSI ID, the controller takes care of that. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs