Quick question

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by feely, Jul 30, 2007.

1. feely

feely Bit Poster

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question, if not, sorry :)

A local Tech is running a couse called "Implementing and Supporting MS Windows XP Professional (2272)" And it is run over 15 weeks.

I was wondering is this a qualification in its own right, or is it part of a bigger qualification? Would this course be worth doing?

Sorry about the questions, im new to the MS stuff.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you(s) may give.

Certifications: HND Elect & Electronic Engineering
    WIP: A+, Network+ & BSc in Physics
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's not a qualification... it's a course. It can help you to pass the Microsoft 70-270 exam (which, if you pass it, will grant you the MCP certification), but the course by itself won't amount to much of anything in the real world.

Personally, if you're looking for certifications, I'd recommend self-study rather than pay big money for a course.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

I don't think this one gives you a cert!

So unless your are getting it for free I think you would better spending your money on an 70-271.

This is only half of the MCDST qualification but it will kick start your career by giving you a MCP qualification. You can then add the 70-272 to get the MCDST.

If you are new to IT then do the Comptia A+ first.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  4. feely

feely Bit Poster

Well, I think the course is about £50 or so...I didnt think it was a cert by itself, but I figured that if it is part of one, or helps me onmy way, then why not.

I am doing my A+ now...but I sometimes look ahead a bit lol

5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

You would of course be able to detail this course on your CV so for £50 or so why not.

It would be a good lead into a cert like 70-270 or 271 and build your confidance & understanding as well as your CV.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. feely

feely Bit Poster

What else would I need to do for the 70-270 or 271?

7. BosonMichael

You don't *have* to do anything except pass the exam. How much you study and what (legal) materials you use to study is entirely up to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. feely

feely Bit Poster

No, I mean, if that course can be counted towards it, what other one(s) would I need...like I said, im not to aware of the MS stuff, so maybe someone could even point me inthe right direction....sorry if im been an idiot here.

9. BosonMichael

Courses are not certifications. Therefore, the course cannot be counted towards anything.

To get a certification, you have to take the exam and pass it. No course required. No training required. No studying required, if you've got enough experience, though most people use study guides, available at your local bookstore, and will work through the labs on a test computer or two.

EDIT: There are a bunch of Microsoft certifications out there. Passing the 70-270 Windows XP exam that I mentioned above (or just about any Microsoft exam) will get you the MCP certification. Passing the 70-271 and 70-272 certifications that others mentioned above will get you the MCP and MCDST certifications (I'd probably recommend doing 70-271 and 70-272 over doing 70-270).

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Check out the preparation guide for the Microsoft exam 70-271 below..

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-271.mspx

If your course matches the criterior mentioned in the guide it may well be a good resource to study for this exam. If, however there are elements missing, which i would expect to be the case, you will need to buy a decent study guide to suppliment it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. feely

feely Bit Poster

Thanks for that. Yea, I will see if I can find out what is entailed on the course...its it not going to be a benefit, no point.

Thanks.