Quick question on A+ Book.

Discussion in 'A+' started by asoe209, Aug 26, 2010.

1. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Just a quick one. My A+ book came today the one all in one. That has been recommended by most of you. Its the 7th edition covering the 701 and 702.

Well it's a big ass book. Does this need to be read from cover to cover or are there bits that are ok to be missed.

How do you advise studying with this book.

Certifications: City & Guilds level PC repar 1 & 2
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

read it all the way through.

everyone is different in how they study. I highlighted important points in the book and took some note such as bits where you have to memorize numbers n stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Skim what you know, study what you don't. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Cool. I forgot my highlighter at work dam it lol.

Prob try readying some thing evening just the into. And have a look at the cd.
    Got to get focused now and work.

Tunis guys. Every one here is so helpful. Can wait till I can advise like how you guys do.

5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I'm pretty sure there should be an ebook on the disk that comes with the book, means you don't have to lug it round with you if you want to read on lunch breaks and whatnot (providing work are ok you eating at your desk..... and that you work at a computer come to think of it...... lol).

I used the Meyers All in One but not sure what Ed. I read t from cover to cover even though I knew quite a bit already, you'll be surprised how fast you get through it once you get stuck in. I didn't make any notes or highlight things but as Brucelee said, people learn differently.

Best of luck to you any mate. It's an excellent field to work in providing you can find the right job.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  6. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Hi again, just done my 1st practice set of the A+ here are the results.

i stopped at 87 question as it was going on and on and was not sure when it was going to stop me if it was.

Attached Files:

7. greenbrucelee

do not do anymore of the pratice exams on the disk.

If you keep doing them or do them before you have fully learned the concepts you will subconsiousley remember the answers to those questions and lull yourself in a false sense of security making believe you are ready when you are not.

And as far as I remember the disk questions only went upto 50, unless you have bought the full exams from total seminars.

8. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

na thats the CD that came with my book.....

And im not planning to retake it that was just a sort of test for my self to get an idea of the questions and how they are. and just to see what i sort of know from what i dont. I will just be reading from now.

I started some this evening and i must say when i started i did get griped into it.

9. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Sorry lads a other silly question just reading thought my book up to chapter 4 now.

Well I was looking at the contences and you have 3 section or so to each chapter. Being historical, essentials and beyond A+. I can see reason to read the historical bits but any thing in the beyond A+ is that really needed just now or shall that still be read.

I can already guess what your going to say but worth asking. Sorry to double post.

10. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hello mate,

I started my book this afternoon.

I'm gonna read the whole book right the way through.. Why leave mistakes? It's actually very interesting..

Some humour actually, The guy assumes the person needing computer fixing is a women LOL.

My advice, read it right the way through, just like me =]

Good luck mate.

Special Brew!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  11. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

I find it easier taking notes and writing them to sticky notes and leaving them around the house so you know when you go in each room they are there staring you in the face, then they just stick in your head! Plus watching the http://www.professormessor.com videos.

Regards

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I can't say for certain but if it's posted as 'beyond A+' then they obviously feel it's beyond the scope of the exam so you could be forgiven for skipping it. I on the other hand wouldn't as it may well provide a little more information that you, as a potential IT Technician, really ought to know. Not to mention it could provide a little more information to make that particular topic stay in your mind.

So short answer; I'd say you could probably skip it but I'd advise against it for the reason above.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  13. greenbrucelee

what he said ^

The general concensus is to read the whole book from cover to cover and I agree. Its only 1136 pages or so you can do that in two weeks so stop worry about if it should be ready and concentrate on do I know it if not study it.

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

When I did the A+ I read the whole book first, just to give me an idea of the width and depth of the topics and how my knowledge stacked up against that. Then I went through each chapter taking notes on things that I wasn't 100% on and distilled all the size/speed etc facts into a flashcard system.

I'd advise at least reading the Beyond A+ parts. I don't know how much guidance authors get on what is within/outwith the scope of the A+ beyond the published objectives so it's best to play it safe. Exams are rarely static anyway, the emphasis on technologies might have changed since the book was written so something that Meyers didn't think would be tested, but thought to include, may just have increased in importance enough to become part of the question pool.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. asoe209

asoe209 Nibble Poster

Thanks again guys. Don't know why I even asked that.