Quick question about subnetting

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Timewyrm, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

I've got a really quick question:

You know when you go to one of those websites , where you can buy you own .com (or .co.uk, lol), are you just buying a name, or are you buying a static i.p address (a subnet) ?

Another question (slightly off topic)

The Trainsignal Network+ video instructor said that he'd purchased a subnet from his local isp, for his home server, for his students to access. Why would you have your own server for people to access, instead of using a webhost ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

When you purchase a domain name, you are purchasing just that. I think the option is for renewal after one, two or five years.

I don't believe you can "buy" an IP address as such. You can request an IP block by submitting a RIPE form. This will allow you to assign an IP address to the gate, and an address for every machine that needs one.
    I guess you could say they were your as long as you keep paying the bill, but they were assigned to the ISP and then leased on to you.

Haven't seen the video, but there are lots of reasons - training is probably the main one in this case.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I was assigned a small subnet by my employer. This has come in very handy for organising access to difficult to reach servers (by the use of SSH tunnels) as well as good for training in routing at home.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Timewyrm

Timewyrm Bit Poster

But, when you buy a .com or a .co.uk, like certforums for example, you get a static ip address, right ?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

No you don't get a static IP address, you just get the domain name, they are two different things.

IP addresses are assigned to you by your ISP (internet service provider) or if you have purchased some webspace then the hosting company can tell you the address to use for DNS settings of your domain name.

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT