quick career change

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Damian3716, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Damian3716

Damian3716 New Member

Hi, I have been a memeber of this forum for a while, but have only posted once before, I think. However, the time has come that I need some advice for some super-intelligent IT peeps.

I have been married for about 10 months and my wife and I are expecting our first baby in August. At the moment I am self-employed, and don't know what I might be earning from one week to the next. I have been looking at a career change into IT, but with the imminent arrival, the need has become more urgent. What I need is the quickest route possible to a regular entry level job, even if it means an initial salary decrease.

I have looked at several companies. I was all set to sign up for cerco, but certain events have meant that I might not qulaify for their job gauantee programme (Which was their main appeal) so at the moment that seems to have gone awry.

I have also looked at JBC who seem to offer much the same trainig as Cerco, but without the "we will get you a job" guaruntee. They are cheaper, though. However, I was wondering how easy it would be to find a job yourself without a cert and without any industry connections.

Also I am looking into the Traing Camp. This seems to be a good option as they offer recoginsed certs (and in a short time, four days for A+ I think) with certain basic pre-requisites.

Any advice you can offer will be very, very gratefully received, whether it be experience with any of the above cpmanies or suggested alternative routes which might meet my requirements and tight time frame.

Thanks.
    D.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Don't be wooed by job guarantee schemes.

Check out this thread as a comparison for self study started by zimbo: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread10667.html

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Damian3716

Damian3716 New Member

Thanks for the link Zimbo, but for my needs, I just think home study is a bit slow, things are getting urgent. :eek:

4. Damian3716

Damian3716 New Member

Sorry, thanks WIZARD :oops:

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

even if you do a 5 day fast track course to become a CCNP that still doesn#t gauarantee a job, ok, so they give you a job, the employer might not like you for the lack of "proper" experience... sorry...

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What is your background in terms of IT? Have you ever set up an Active Directory Domain?

I ask the above because a lot of these boot camps are designed for people who already know their stuff, and simply need a refresher before taking the exams. How much do you really think that you will retain after four days of intensive study?

Many of the other 'class room based' training providers expect you to do self study and only attend their centres very infrequently, so basically you will be doing self study, but at a greater cost.

My intention is not to put you off either way, but simply to make sure that you realise that there will always be self study involved. Some people prefer the training provider environment of having to meet deadlines, others don't.

The important thing to remember is that IT is not a money spinning career, its is hard work and very competitive, often with little rewards other than personal satisfaction.

8)

7. phoenix510

phoenix510 Byte Poster

I echo what Simon has says here, with Hindsight I wish i had gone down the self study route before signing up with a training provider but I must now make the most of perhaps an expensive mistake. I suppose self study can be done as quick as what a training provider can give, just cram in the relevant info for the objectives and use a test simulation software like measure up or transcenders. however you may have passed the exam but will you have the knowledge ?

Certifications: ECDL, MOS WORD & Excel, MCDST
    WIP: A+ & 70-270
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Unfortunately there is no get rich quick schemes out there in IT.
    Hard work the slow way, I agree with Cheekmaster experience is more favoured over qualifications.

Since you have a baby on the way, family responsabilities come first!
    Why don't you do a job search in your area. Look at Monster, fish4jobs, justIT and local papers. Find out what employers want in your area. Some might ask for lotus notes, some for web design or cisco. Do a little research find out what's out there, then look for a training provider, do some volunteer work or build PCs for neighbours and friends. This experience still counts and you can put it down on your CV.

Also for quick route have a look at this website:-

http://www.rapidresults.co.uk/

Think small..get big results
    Think Big get small or no results. In other words don't aim for the pie in the sky keep it simple, baby steps.

Monkey :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

IMHO there is little money in entry level jobs in IT. Is £15k enough for you all?

10. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I'd kill for an entry level job that pays £15k!! All the ones I've seen start around the £12k mark and I'd be bored witless!!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

An entry level job in the London area will go for between 15 - 18K, is that an acceptable 'initial drop' also this initial drop may well last a few years!

gone are the days of high paid IT jobs straight out of school, top end IT folks these days have skills and experiance with project management, business analysis and many other factors that effect the business and not just the network!

there is also no 'quick' entry to IT, you will be competing with a ton of other people looking for entry level roles, many with plenty more experiance than yourself, i myself have experianced dry spells of over 8 months during industry downpoints, you may be lucky as the industry itself is picking up somewhat, but like i said your going to have a lot of competition

my advice would be to play around as much as you can at home, see if its for you, then splurge the money on a course if you feel its required

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0