Questions from employer and Cover Letter.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by kazan, Sep 23, 2009.

1. kazan

kazan Bit Poster

Hi,

I'm just applying for a 1st Line Support Engineer and I'm just wondering.
    Is it usual that employers ask in adverts about:
    "Please include your reasons for leaving your current/last position and your current/last remuneration."?
    and they ask to include answer in the Cover Letter.

Do you think I should give them straight answer or something like I'll discuss about it during the interview, if I'm going have a chance ;)
    If I'll write I'm looking for new challenge and more money :twisted: probably it'll be taken as a joke in the financial crisis time. :)

|Kazan|

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    WIP: 70-271 & 70-272
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends, why are you moving on?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. kazan

kazan Bit Poster

Because I am looking for a company where I can take on new challenges and learn new things with a possible career path.

|Kazan|

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they're asking for it, they likely want that info. Should you give it to them? Well, if you don't give it, they might put your CV in the "Can't Follow Directions" stack. If you do give it, you're "revealing your hand" a little bit. That decision is entirely up to you.

Personally, I'd have no problem doing it, and being totally truthful about it. It'll save both them and me a lot of time and effort if they can't afford me and I'm not willing to accept what they're offering.

I wouldn't laugh about someone wanting new challenges and more money. It is absolutely natural for someone working their way up the IT career ladder to be worth more money over time. After all, a server admin is probably going to make more than a desktop support tech or a help desk tech, right?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I've never had a company ask me to answer why I'm leaving my last job in a cover letter, but many companies will ask that in an interview. However, in your case, if you're interested in the job, I've give an answer in the cover letter since they've specifically asked for it. I wouldn't give an answer like "I'll discuss it in the interview"...if you don't want to answer it in the cover letter, then just don't address it at all rather than be coy about it. Regardless of whether you include your answer in the cover letter, you should be prepared to answer the question because it's obviously something they're using to help select applicants.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds ok to me :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. kazan

kazan Bit Poster

Thanks.
    I was just wondering because I've founded some advices about Cover Letters saying to discuss this matter during the interview stage. But you are completely right about it.
    Thanks again.

|Kazan|

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009