Questions for those on the NITLC program

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by LSpace, Sep 9, 2003.

1. LSpace

LSpace New Member

Hi there - haven't been on the board for a while as my nose has been stuck in the A+ book (just finished memory management so the end is in sight).
    I'm still looking seriously at more structured programs to continue on after A+ and have been looking heavily in to the NITLC stuff.
    The one thing that I haven't been able to pin down is what you actually get for your 3-4 grand. Is it just books (if so these would be way cheaper straight off Amazon) or are there CBT lessons or do you get training manuals authored by NITLC themselves.
    Also the lab work that you need the pcs for - is this out of someones book or have NITLC written their own ?
    Hope this makes sense - this is a lot of money and I am concerned that I would be getting a pile of books available elsewhere and a "give us a call if you have a problem" approach. I know you guys are very experienced with this program so all input would be greatfully accepted.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi again, LSPace - good to see you back :thumbleft

So, where to begin ...?

3-4 Large is a big outlay in any curr€ncy. So what do Nitlc give you for it ?

Well, you get all MSPress books for the MS stuff (wow, Jak - how did you work THAT one out ???) They're good books, if detailed, and as such are the subject of MUCH debate. I still prefer them over the Sybex, IMHO :oops:

You get Sybex and McGraw Hill books for Network+ and A+, respectively.

All exams are paid for, first time only (re-sits you need to pay for) at any VUE /Prometric site near you.

110% quality Tutors and Staff - very helpful, and there most of the time.

Workshops (3ish day Class-based exam crams - hands-on, not compulsory) at Nitlc's new, custom-built, and impressive (tho', I've not been) HQ

Also, you get a whole bunch of introductory manuals (by Ziff-Davis publishing, very US-centric). I thought they were actually a hindrance, but thats my humble opinion.

Finally, there is the Resource Library, where you can have delivered various background materials for whichever section of the Course you are on, eg MS Resource Kits, IEAK, and CBTs for all (I think) MCP stuff. And there are many Prep Tests available for download too.

Hope that answers a few q's for you - any more, just sing out ... :P

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Hi LSpace

You can buy the books yourself, pay for your own exams, purchase CBT disks when you need them and do the same sylabus (sp?) that we are doing with NITLC for (probably) 2-2.5k. If you want and or need professional support including the workshops (and they really do help) the NITLC is IMHO the best training provider and will has been around long enough that it shouldn't go bust overnight. If you feel you can do without the workshops and full back-up of tutors then do the stuff yourself and you will save money.

It all comes down to what sort of "learner" you are as to whether you need someone like the NITLC or not. Other training companies are I believe a little cheaper. Some local adult Education colleges offer some MCP and/or Comptia courses as well.

HTH

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I strongly agree with this point Lspace, I used to be an IT tutor (nothing too heavy) but I've met all different kinds of people with different learning styles. Do you know your preferred learning method, can you get on with books or will you find them too dry and boring. You may find CD ROM based stuff better for you or you may find that you learn better in the company of others so a college or uni would suit you better.

I'm with NITLC because my course fee's were paid for by my employer so I needed to find a large enough training provider that was not too far to travel. IF I was paying for the course myself I think I would have chosen to learn with others with hands on workshops as I learn quicker and I'm a very visual person so reading books takes a lot of my time and concentration.

Well that’s my thoughts, HTH.

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. LSpace

LSpace New Member

Thanks for the info - for the A+ I have been reading the Mike Meyers books but had been finding that a little dry so bought and downloaded the CBT Nuggets program. Whilst this isn't the most comprehensive look at the material (a lot of holes that need to be filled by using the book) I found that just seeing the material presented brought it to life for me and made the book more accessible.
    Classrooms bore me to tears - I just start zoning out after a while - so the combination of the books for the detail and the CBT style to give me the lecture style and visual input (which I can then stop and start at will) seem to work well for me. Does the NITLC provide CBT discs and if so are they done in house or is it from an external producer ?
    I have heard a lot of good things about the Test Out and Learn Key CBT programs - has anyone here tried using those ?
    Ta again for the assistance.
    Neil.

6. Luton Bee

NITLC will loan you the CBT disks that they have (subject to availability) if/when you need them. The main benefits with NITLC are the workshops and the ability to call, e-mail, even visit a tutor more or less when you want.

I have borrowed the Learnkey CBT for the 70-218 and foud in helpful if hard going (i have actually dozed off on at least one occasion!). How helpful I will be able to tell you after Friday when I sit the exam!!

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck on Friday, Luton - let us know :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Luton Bee

Thanks for that Jako I will report back, unless I get down the pub first cos win or loose it's on the booze :cheers2