Questions About Exams and How Up-to-Date It Is, Also Examples of Inconsistency

Discussion in 'A+' started by jtphenom, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jtphenom

jtphenom New Member

Hi folks,

OK first of all, can anyone tell me how up-to-date the current exam is regarding different data transfer rates for technology? For instance, I've seen material that says the latest PCI bus operates at 533 MHz, but some practice questions I've seen (that are recent) say that the fastest rate is 133 MHz. So if I see a question on the exam saying something like "What is the fastest rate for PCI?," and 133 and 533 are both choices... Ya smell what I'm stepping in?

OK next: I've seen at LEAST one practice exam book that lists Bluetooth speeds as v1.0 = 1 Mbps, v2.0, 3 Mbps, etc. However, other sources I've seen say that v1.0 was only 721 Kbps, and v2.0 says 2.1 Mbps. So A. can anyone clarify this for me, and B. how the heck are we supposed to know what the test will want from us?? LOL

Yet another example of things that are worrying me about the exam... again it's about Bluetooth. Most resources say that Bluetooth operates in the 2.4 GHz band. That's what I always thought myself. But some things I'm reading say that it operates at 5.0 GHz!

The examples, as I'm sure you know, go on and on. So how can we know what the test will want from us?

Thanks for any and all help!
    James

2. dhenderson

dhenderson Bit Poster

CompTIA update their exams every couple of years, when they update them the exam codes change and it is widely communicated. I wouldnt worry, follow a CompTIA recognised study resource.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network +
    WIP: MCTS: 70-640 - Active Directory Server 2008 , configuring.
  3. jtphenom

jtphenom New Member

Thank you! How will I know if a particular resource is recognized by CompTIA?

Also, I'm actually referring to changes that happen more frequently that every few years, like the ones I mentioned above.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You're not going to be asked the maximum speed of something unless it's an established standard.
    As regards bluetooth, the figures you have given are the theoretical maximum data transfer rate, and the theoretical maximum that the application can use. The roughly 30% difference is taken up by communications between devices to keep the connection alive and to have data transferred by only one device as a time, overhead in other words.
    In my experience they normally look for the maximum e.g. 802.11g has a theoretical maximum of 54Mbps even though you never will get that rate available to applications (due to overhead).

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you are studying the curriculum for a particular exam, such as 70-270 then just stick with the facts from the training material. Exams aren't updated as often as they maybe should, so don't worry about being stumped by some obscure new technology. I think the last time 270 got updated as to take into account SP2 - which just goes to show...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD