Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rob1234, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I need to search the contents of all Excel files in a folder.
    I have discovered that this works if the files are type xls, but not if they are csv.
    How can I make it search for both?

Certifications: A few.
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I might be totally missing what you want to do... but...

...right-click folder, select Search, input the text you want to search on. Works on every type of file you've got in the folder.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Rob1234

When i right click i do not get the search option?

4. BosonMichael

You're right-clicking a folder in Windows Explorer, right? Do you not get a context-sensitive menu that starts out something like:

Open
    Explore
    Search...

If not, what do you get? What OS are you using?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Rob1234

I get

open
    explore

then a few others but no search.

I am using Vista Ultimate.

6. BosonMichael

Ah, okay, gotcha. Browse to your folder. The Search bar will be up in the right corner. If you mouse over it, it'll say, "Search the current view". Does this not search the contents of your files? I think it should...

7. Rob1234

I might be being thick but the folder I want to search has loads of files in it is there away to search so that only excel and .csv files are shown.

8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

As BM has said, there will be a Search field at the top right in Explorer. Type .csv and/or .xls in that. You'll also see an Advanced search facility appear in the right pane in Explorer, as soon as you type something in the Search field.

9. BosonMichael

This, or move them into a subfolder? :) Logical segmentation of files for the win!