Question regarding ISA and Websense

Discussion in 'Software' started by Finkenstein, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Websense and ISA for Proxy/web filtering. Recently, I've had some ISA logs fill up the hard drive. I've cleared those off, but since doing so Websense still does not see our proxy server as the policy server. This is odd because Websense is actually physically ON that ISA/Proxy server. I don't know much about ISA, so I'm kind of flying blindly. Also factor in that this is an old server built by someone who left the company almost 3 years ago and then it hasn't been monitored by anyone for ages... well, you can guess what I'm dealing with.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've used Websense, but not with ISA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Finkenstein

Unfortunately, other than the server drive getting full which caused a few Websense xml files to become corrupted, the majority of the problems seem to be with the ISA side of things. I was able to fix Websense not seeing the policy server, but I feel as though the ISA box is a ticking time bomb. We have a project to upgrade to the newest version of Websense, but don't have anything yet to replace that 5-7 year old proxy box.

I think I know what I'll be doing at home for the next few weeks... time to learn about ISA and maybe make a test environment. :)

4. BosonMichael

Or, alternatively, get a real proxy solution. But what do you really need a proxy solution for if you have Websense and a good firewall? Is bandwidth that much of a concern, and are users hitting the same sites over and over? Meh, I don't have much use for proxy servers anymore. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Finkenstein

Good question. This was really my first hands on project dealing with a proxy server. We do have a decent firewall, and Websense is handling our internet filtering, but if people "go around the proxy" then the Websense policies do not apply. I know that there are a few redirects handled by the ISA portion, but I can't think that those aren't something that can be handled differently. In other words... the proxy server was here when I got here, and I don't know enough about proxies in general yet to justify getting rid of it. Trying to learn all I can though. :)

6. BosonMichael

At my last employer, we had a SonicWall firewall that checked all outgoing Web requests with the Websense server before forwarding them out to the Internet. And if the firewall is the only way out to the Internet, then there's no "getting around" anything. ;)

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might want to just allow port 80 and 443 outbound on the firewall from the proxy, that should stop peeps getting around the proxy filtering :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Finkenstein

I'm pretty sure we can do that with our Juniper, but the only concern is when we need to make that exception for the handful of users to go to sites that will not work going through the proxy... those users and of course a few of us in the LAN Engineering group. :)

9. BosonMichael

But that's the whole point... why do you need a proxy server? :) No proxy server, no worries about going to sites that will not work going through the (non-existent) proxy.

You can set up Websense so that certain users are not filtered.