Question Regarding Books and New Exams

Discussion in 'A+' started by powder21, Jul 10, 2012.

1. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

Hi, I'm Ryan and I'm new here.

I've decided to begin my path to certification with A+ and Net+, A+ being the first of the two. I have been studying my uncle's old Sybex book from 2009 for the last week, but I've recently learned that it doesn't contain any of the updated Windows 7 content that is covered on the updated tests. After doing some reading here and other places, I've discovered that the books from Mike Meyers are also highly praised, and that he released a second, smaller book to cover the additional Windows 7 content so my uncle decided to order that. I'm wondering if I should also get his all-in-one guide book and combine the two, or if continuing with just the Sybex book plus reading Meyers' additional content book would be alright. Plus, which of the two styles of study guides would be better for me if I'm looking to learn as much as possible, not just study for the test?

Also, I've recently learned of the 2012 update to A+, but it's apparently not going to be offered until at least October or later this year, and I can't wait that long to get my first cert due to personal issues. Wish I had known about that sooner. I'd love to hear opinions on this as well.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide! :)

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Although I did last version of the A+ I think I can extrapolate.

1. Sybex+Win7 supplement+Professor Messer (free online A+/N+/MCTS Win 7 course) should see you right. Although Meyers' book is considered the bible for A+.
    2. I found the Sybex book went into greater depth than Meyer's.
    3. For the sake of £20 or so, I'd seriously think about getting the Meyer's book as well. You may feel you don't need it, but the exams aren't cheap and I think it's an acceptable cost if it means you don't have to shell out another £120 for a resit.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Powder, I have responded to your earlier post also to provide some information but just to recap how I went about getting my A+ certification, I went to college but found this not to be a very good way to study, so I started to self-study with the Professor Messer website.

Took around 2-3 months from start to finish, so in the same time scale from now it would take you to maybe October and then this is when the rumour states that the 2012 objectives will be released.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. powder21

powder21 Bit Poster

soundian...Yah, I've been thinking maybe I should do both since the additional book isn't all that much more expensive, however, I'd like to spend that money on the new 2012 study material (see below) I've actually already started watching professor messers videos. Thank you though for the suggestions.

shadowwebs...The earliest any of the books for the new objectives will be available is the end of August. As stated in my other reply, I can't wait that long to start studying. What I may be able to though is study the currently available material until that material is released and then combine the two, but if I'm ready to take the exams before that, I will not be given the time to wait. I do plan on purchasing the book(s) for the new objectives, regardless of the exams I take, and studying it just so I know the new material. My uncle has already agreed to order at least one of them for me.

Thank you both for your replies!

EDIT: shadowwebs...I realize I asked opinions about the new objectives...I guess I just kind of made a decision on that based on other factors while waiting for replies :) Thanks though for giving me your opinion. It is much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012