Question Re: CPU speeds vs FSB speeds?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Slaughta98, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

Hi all,

I have just started self studying my way through the Mike Meyers a+ book.

I just wanted to double check my understanding of the relationship between CPU internal and external speeds in relation to the Frontside bus?

Am I right in understanding that if a CPU has an internal speed of 1Ghz (e.g. 100Mhz x 10.0) that the motherboard would need to have a FSB speed of at least 100Mhz?

I am stuggling to get my head around how to match up the speeds for the different CPU internal and external speeds vs FSB (external data bus & address bus combined) ??

I hope that makes sense... I got confused just writing it down?

Thanks

WIP: CompTia A+ & N+
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Read and absorb - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

Thanks for that link Qs!!

That made a lot of sense... Perhaps Meyers just went on about it too much...

Thanks again, sorry for being lazy. I'm embarrssed that I didn't check out Wiki

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

my FSB is 433 x 9 or 3897MHz or 3.91GHz which hopefully will help you work out the speeds and how to figure it out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

My FSB is 36C
    Hope that relaxes you abit

6. greenbrucelee

you beat me by 1 degree :D

7. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

See now I am even more confused lol

I have an Intel E4600 CPU at home so am using the information on that (CPU-Z) to help me try to work out what is going on here? The technical spec says that the CPU has a bus speed of 800Mhz, Cache speed of 2.4Mhz.

The CPU's external speed as i understand it is 200Mhz (x12 mulitplier) 2.4GHz Internal speed?

What is the bus speed?? (800Mhz)? I think thats why i am getting confused? Multipliers allow CPU's to run much more quickly than the motherboard, don't they? So does that mean my processor is actually capable of running at 800Mhz x 12? Surely not? Thats 9.6Ghz! Not possible on an E4600??

I have read the article mentioned on Wiki but I still cannot 110% get my head round this?

8. greenbrucelee

your core speed is what you cpu is running at.

the multiplier is what it is multiplied by

The Bus speed is the mobo speed

Rated FSB is what the cpu FSB is

Here is a pic of mine

Attached Files:

9. Slaughta98

Slaughta98 New Member

Got it! Your a star thanks greenbrucelee!!! seriously... thanks!

10. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You need a master clock to synchronise all the activities of your computer. The 200MHz external (to the CPU) speed refers to this; it's your mobo speed. Everything else works using this clock as a baseline (2.4 GHz=12X, 800MHz Bus speed=4 times, or quad-pumped Front Side Bus).
    You'd need DDR2 RAM to work with your quad-pumped FSB, cos they're both 4 times faster than the mobo clock.
    That's the way I understand it anyway. The important thing is: there's a master clock by which all speeds are triggered. Your CPU and bus speed are multiples of this because they use the mobo speed to trigger their own clocks.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job