Question on USB

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tinus1959, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I have the following problem:

My domain controller reckognizes my USB sticks, but it does not reckognize my USB harddisks unless I format it on that same server. It sees the disk, but refuses to connect a driveletter to it. The disk is fine and is reckognized by my other computers without fail. My DC does not however. If I format the disk on one of my other machines, my DC raises the security and fails to reckognize the disk unless I reformat it on that server.

I am pretty sure this is some sort of safety feature but I'm not able to find it. Searched true the policies and the registry.

Anybody an idea?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  2. bootmgr

bootmgr Bit Poster

Hi Tinus,

This is a common problem and i dont think this is something related to domain security. This kind of thing happened in win xp. Device manager recongnizes the drive but computer management fails to assign a drive letter. Just install the correct drivers (sometimes the computer hardware manufacturer's drivers are crap).Try to update your usb's ports that are on the MOBO through winupdate ,or delete these drivers manually from device manager so that win update automatically detects the appropriate signed drivers,or go to the appropriate MOBO website and see if there are any available updates for your drivers.

P.S. Just in case,this also has NOTHING related to USB 1.0 or USB 2.0....a usb 2.0 device should connect to a usb 1.0 port without any problem,but you wont benefit from the speed of the USB2.0 device.

Good luck ,and let me know what happens :)

3. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Have you tried assigning a drive letter to the portable drive in Disk Management? If the disk doesn't appear here, try rescanning disks. I know that I usually have to do this when using a USB HDD on any of my DC's. I can't replicate the problem at the moment as I don't have an external hard drive to hand.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I’ve had the same problem. I had to assign a drive letter manually in computer management and then the external drive was accessible. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Tinus1959

All machines are physically the same, so no hardware issues. Drivers can not be the problem either (three of them are running 2003 server)

Tried that, but it just won't reckognize the disk. It just tels me disk not accessable. On the oter 2003 servers there is no problem.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

On the USB hard drive is - what are the jumpers set to? are they slave or CS enabled?

Also what size is the hard drive?

I had a similiar problem with an external hard drive and had to chang the jumper's in order for it to reconsise it!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Jumpers on USB Sticks?

8. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Its the USB HDD that are causing a problem, the USB sticks work fine. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  9. Mr.Cheeks

My bad [​IMG]

Jumpers on USB HDDs?

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

These are external HDDs, in other words a standard laptop or desktop hard drive, mounted in a cradle (snazzy box) and connected via USB to the PC.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Mr.Cheeks

My bad [​IMG]

oh! FFS, aint i slow! ...can someone just smack some IT into me... ...im getting thicker and thicker day by day!

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thank you Pete:thumbleft

I was just about to type that when I saw your post!:biggrin

13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Mr C - rather than buy an external hard drive (like you see in curry's or PC world) you can buy a caddy and just place an ordinary IDE or sata dive inside them. The caddy's have connectors for power and IDE/SATA.

The only problem is if you leave the jumpers on an exteranl USb drive on master, it's like installing a internal hard drive and setting the jumpers to master. The you would have two Hard drives stating they are masters, causing a conflict8)

I can draw you some pictures if you want??:tongue:wink::tune

:hhhmmm ...let's see where did I put those crayons...:twisted: :tongue:

14. Mr.Cheeks

LOL! I do know what they are - made a few myself...

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

LOL - you know me mate, always a cheekymonkey:biggrin:p LOL

16. Tinus1959

Good one. I have to check that one. But still, wouldn't I have the problem then with all my computers? The size is 250 Gigs. I have it for some time allready and it worked fine on my server-workstations. Just the DC would not reckognize it. I then tried it with another disk (500 Gigs) and found the same problem. I came to the conclusion that the USB port was damaged, so I tried the sticks (8 GB) and they worked fine. Finally I formatted the 500 GB disk on the DC and I could read and write to it from the DC and the workstations. Then I reformatted the disk on one of the server/workstations and again the DC would not reckognize it. The problem is solved now, because I reformatted again on the DC and am able to work with the disk on all my machines. Just puzzled on what happened and how to solve it. I was convinced it was some kind of setting in the registry.