Question on term 'Remote users' on MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Mr-Blue-Sky, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

Hi there

Im looking at the topic 'managing access to files and folders'. They mention about share permissions and remote users accessing files and folder using it. Can you define 'remote users'?

I assume it someone logging into the network via another office using RAS, but I'm not 100% sure that is the case.

Thanks.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

remote accessing is someone who is using a computer from outside, for example if I had remote access to your PC then I could be at my home and use your pc by using my pc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

The "Remote desktop users" group allows the any user who are a member of this group to connect to other computer using Remote Desktop Connection or Remote Web Connection. The only other group that connect remotely access a machine are the "Administrators" group, as they have full access through the domain.

Hope this helps.

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I would think that in the scenario you're talking about like GBL mentioned is that remote users are user who access the files that have the share permissions from the outside, meaning they're not on your computer but at a different computer whether in the office or at home.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Would a user coming in over a VPN count?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Would have thought so

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

So in that scenario anyone logging onto your PC from another PC on the network LAN or remotely RAS counts. These are the users where Shared Access security is used.

One other thing, is the RAS service used even if you on are on another PC logging into a PC on the same network in the office on the domain?

Thanks for your help.

Certifications: BSc Distributed Information Systems
    WIP: MCDST
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hope this helps.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Mr-Blue-Sky

Mr-Blue-Sky Bit Poster

Brilliant, thanks.