Question for overclockers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 2, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I seem to have some mad cpu, I have now overclocked it 4.2 (original spec 3GHz) and I haven't had any significant increase in temperature according to Real Temp etc.

Has anyone had this before with a cpu? and when did you stop pushing it?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

Get some liquid Nitrogen............:blink

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I'd use more than one thing to check the temperature,software within windows desktop,speedfan for example,and the bios menu will also give you a temperature in there.Compare the two readings.

What have you raised,the bus speed?,the voltage for the processor?The clock mulltiplier?

On overclocking in the past i managed to get my processor up at 85 celsius,basically scorching temperatures,the processor was too hot to pick up,i hadn't increased the speed by all that much either.I've been using artic silver thermal paste the whole time too,and i used to buy the best processor coolers available,£50 each time and mad prices like that.

I've also had to clear the cmos many times just to bring the pc back to life while overclocking.

I've made small adjustments to the voltage too.

I've given up with overclocking now,really not worth the effort,even to get another 1ghz out of the processor.

But to answer, if you truely can't get any higher temperature readings it is strange,i would expect the temperature to rise myself.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. greenbrucelee

everything has been changed and so far my idle temp is still 37c and my max temp has gone up from 56c (when I had it at 4GHz) to 57 @ 4.28 :blink

5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I suppose you'll be safe enough if you set a cut off temperature in the bios,the temperature can rise by another 20 c while running pc games.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. greenbrucelee

I tested it for 3 hours running prime95 and OCCT. I find it really extrodinary that my cpu is the way it is.

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Alot of times the temperature readings are not always correct... they could be off. I know that the apps that measure the temps get the information from the BIOS... in the past I used to have cpu fan cooler that had a tiny thermometer go onto the die of the cpu for a more accurate temp reading...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. greenbrucelee

never seen one like that before. I know my mobo temp sensor is faulty apparently there have been problems with some mobo sensors reading the E8400 temp correctly.

I was told real temp would give me an accurate reading.

9. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

The E8400 is renowned for crazy overclocking. I (among others) recommended it to you because of this fact :p

It will. Just because you can push a chip to melting point doesn't mean you should :p

You'll see almost no significant performance gain by pushing it further than you are at now - purely because you'll be bottlenecked by your other components (more than likely your GPU)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  10. Crito

Crito Banned

Try a Peltier thermoelectric cooler for really ridiculous OCing.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none