Question for CCNA graduates

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Headache, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I hope I'm not stepping out of line for asking this question and if I am, please let me know.

My question is, approximately how many questions in the exam require you to do manual configurations ?

Are there as many as 10 or 15 maybe ?

The reason I'm asking is because of the timing issue. I don't want to spend too much time on the configs and run out of time on the other questions. I want to be able to prepare myself in advance as to how much time I should spend on each config question.

Thanx.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

I wouldn't say "graduates", as to me that is for an academic qualification and CISCO, MS, Comptia, etc are professional certs.

Anyway, see here.

------------------------------
    640-801 Exam objectives
    Number of questions: 55-65
    Passing score: 849

640-821 INTRO Exam objectives
    Number of questions: 45-55
    Passing score: 825

640-811 ICND Exam objectives
    Number of questions: 40-50
    Passing score: 849
    ------------------------------

The amount of sims that are in this exam aren't fixed, some people are getting 2, whereas others are getting 5-7. It really does depend on the exam on the day.

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Cisco won't allow those who have taken the exam to reveal that information because of the Cisco Confidentiality Agreement we signed when we took the exam. They won't even allow us to reveal the number of questions we got or the passing score! We even e-mailed Cisco for confirmation, and they confirmed that we're not allowed to reveal that info. It might seem nitpicky to restrict that, but it's Cisco's choice to do so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, it does. Thanks Ken.

@ BrainBeaconMichael

I didn't mean to breach any confidentiality agreements. Sorry `bout that.

5. BosonMichael

Nah, you're safe, you weren't breaching anything. Nor was Ken breaching any agreement, since it doesn't look like he's got any Cisco certifications. However, I'd have breached MY agreement if I had answered your question. ;) Just didn't want you to think some of us were being anti-social for not giving you a good answer. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Na, don't have any Cisco certs, the info I provided are found feely on the web :)

Must be similar to the NDA MS gets you to agree to when you take their exams.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. BosonMichael

That's it, exactly. Cisco's NDA is a bit more restrictive than Microsoft's, in my opinion... or, at least, they spell things out a bit better, leaving less to ambiguity.

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

You will receive enough simulation questions to determine if you meet the requirements of the Cisco Certified Network Associate with respect to:

• Implementation & Operation
      1. Configure routing protocols given user requirements
      2. Configure IP addresses, subnet masks, and gateway addresses on routers and hosts
      3. Configure a router for additional administrative functionality
      4. Configure a switch with VLANS and inter-switch communication
      5. Customize a switch configuration to meet specified network requirements
      6. Manage system image and device configuration files
      7. Perform an initial configuration on a router
      8. Perform an initial configuration on a switch
      9. Implement access lists
      10. Implement simple WAN protocols
    • Troubleshooting
      1. Utilize the OSI model as a guide for systematic network troubleshooting
      2. Perform LAN and VLAN troubleshooting
      3. Troubleshoot routing protocols
      4. Troubleshoot IP addressing and host configuration
      5. Troubleshoot a device as part of a working network
      6. Troubleshoot an access list
      7. Perform simple WAN troubleshooting

To help give you some guidance, just like you can't do accounting without knowing the accounting rules, you can't implement a network without understanding the knowledge. Also, troubleshooting is kinda like making correcting entries in the general ledger, that is, figuring out what was implemented incorrectly and correcting it.

I hope this helps.

Link:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanks r.h.lee. Much appreciated.

I suppose the only way to find out for sure is to do the exam for real. When that day comes, everything will become clear.

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Disclaimer: I'm not a Boson employee, just a satisfied customer.

Headache,

You can get an Exam Simulator, like Boson, to check if you're ready. Relatively, an Exam Simulator is cheaper than multiple attempts at the real exam because once you purchase the Exam Simulator you can take as many exams as you want without increasing costs. You'd have to pay Prometric or Vue each time you want to "check if you're ready." Boson helped me become CCNA and CCDA certified back in 2003.

I hope this helps.

Link:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Once again, thanks r.h.lee.

The Boson sims are options worth looking into. I've been using routers ever since I started studying and now they've completely spoiled me. Problem is, they don't time you. Plus you sometimes get to spend hours and hours fiddling around with cables and stuff. So the Bosom sims might be definitely worth a shot. Thanx.

12. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Bro...

I used the Router Simulators, Transcender Exam Simulations, and real equipment to help pass my CCNA.

I feel the books, plus real equipment, plus exam simulations are the way to go. The exam simulations help you to become more familiar with the testing format plus give you review and help you assess your knowledge. The CCNA is no joke. It is a tough test which means it does what it is suppose to do. Test wether or not you possess the knowledge to continue forward in the Cisco mysteries.

I think you will do fine though. Subnet Masking is a huge fundamental. Without it...it is doubtful anyone would pass the CCNA.

You have that down now right? I posted some "tests" I made awhile back. Would you like me to post them again or did you do them?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  13. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Hi Bro,

How was your holiday ?

Thanks for the advice. By all means post those tests again. I would love to have a look at them.