Question about Win Vista

Discussion in 'A+' started by Shivers21, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Shivers21

Shivers21 New Member

Hiya, this is my first post here and i just have a quick question about the a+! I was wondering if i would need to install vista on my pc as the exam seems to cover vista and not win 7? I have been using windows 7 for awhile but would i be able to study efficently testing out things on win 7 if its similar to vista or should i just bite the bullet and downgrade to vista as my os? thanks.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you have media to do this? If so perhaps just install Vista in a virtual environment.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Shivers21

Shivers21 New Member

No i don't have the media so I would need to buy it, is it worth it or can I get by on 7?

4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

You can download a 90 day Windows 7 trial here.

As far as I know, all the tools that are discussed in the A+ objectives should be included in Win7 too.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  5. Shivers21

Shivers21 New Member

Hi Simon, I already have windows 7 installed i was wondering if i would need to downgrade to vista for studying?

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I agree with simonvm on this. It's unlikely that any of the differences between Vista and Windows 7 will be within the scope of the A+. You should be OK with W7 only but without going through the exam objectives with a fine-tooth comb I can't be 100% certain on that.

However, since you now know where to get an eval copy of Vista it might be best to install it on, e.g., VirtualPC so you can change settings, practice installing etc without messing up your current W7 configuration.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job