Question about power supplies

Discussion in 'A+' started by Bash, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

Hi everyone

I've only recently (in the past month) started studying for the A+cert with the meyers AIO book and its going ok but im a little stuck with power supplies.

Am i right in assuming that a P1 (20/24 pin) connector is the main power supply to the motherboard and a P4 is only used with pentium 4 CPU's?

Also can someone just clarify what voltages are required for the; Molex connector,P4/P1,AUX and the Mini connector?

Can someone just clear this up for me please id be grateful?

p.s. I hope i dont come across as being lazy by throwing all these questions out there, i have looked around everywhere. Youtube, The professor Messer vids, google etc

Thanks in advance

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A motherboard uses the 20 or 24 pin P1 connector to supply the power but some motherboards require that the 4 pin connector is used also.

Devices in the computer will use Molex connectors can be 5 or 12 volts depending on what that device needs. The mini connectors are very rarley used these days and can be called floppy disk drive connectors

Sata hard drives use the 15 pin connector and can supply 3.3, 5 and 12 volts.

hope this helps

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Did you look that up greenbrucelee or did you just remember it? how do you remember stuff like that. :blink

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's listed in the A+, right?

Remember that Mr. GBL does a lot of PC builds/hardware oriented work.

Oh, and he's the man. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Ahh I see - yep it's in the A+, just wondered how he remembers the finer details like that :)

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  6. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

Thanks for clearing that up for me GBL! i appreciate it, :biggrin

WIP: A+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

GBL is right... The P4 connector is needed for the P4 CPU's. P4 CPU's use more voltage then the it's predecessors and AMD which is why the extra power is needed....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Because I am a geek :D

Like QS said I build a lot of PCs and fiddle with stuff.

I could have gone onto ATX specs and 12 volt rails etc but that wasn't the posters question so didn't want to confuse.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?