Question about certification

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by windytrousers, Mar 22, 2007.

1. windytrousers

windytrousers New Member

Hello all

Bit of a Newbie - have been lurking for a while and this appears to be a great place for advice! Looking to start the MCDST as a first port of call on my certification route (starting late, I know!:biggrin ). Have been working in Support for about 4 years and am looking to confirm my current position with some paper credentials.

My question has probably been asked before but is it worth gaining certs on your route to a particular cert? E.g. if I was interested in the MCSE, is it worth getting the MCDST, then a few more exams for the MCSA the a few more for MCSE?

Would appreciate your views.

Cheers
    Windy

Certifications: ND Eng, HND Elec
    WIP: MCDST, Kyokushin Karate 2nd Dan!
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm slightly behind you, nailing the A+(2003) before May and then starting MCDST - I'm possibly aiming for MCSE but am unsure of where my career will take me so I thought about it and it may require an extra exam or 2 (1 if I remember correctly) but would do MCDST, MCSA and then MCSE - assuming I have the real world experience to go along with it at the same time.

MCDST is an elective of MCSA but not of MCSE hence the need for 3 exams between MCSA and MCSE rather than 2 - I believe :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. windytrousers

windytrousers New Member

Thinking about taking the A+ after the MCDST - how did you find it? Seems to be more more focused on hardware than the DST (?).

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend getting the intermediate certifications along the way. If they cover things you already know, you'll get through them quickly... and if there's stuff on there you don't already know, it was worth doing simply to learn those concepts, right?

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. windytrousers

windytrousers New Member

Good advice Michael, thanks. Would you recoomend doing the A+ as well as the MCDST or does the MCDST cover most apsects of the A+?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend both. A+ is vendor-neutral; the MCDST is Microsoft-specific. The A+ deals with hardware and software; the MCDST deals primarily with the OS and applications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. windytrousers

windytrousers New Member

Thanks for the replies folks - much appreciated! :thumbleft