Question about Certification-->

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by CETech, Jun 8, 2006.

1. CETech

CETech New Member

Hey guys!

I just recieved my A+ certification and was wondering which I should do next.

I am currently working as an IT Tech for a university.. I want to stay in this field, however later work as an IT Consultant.

I was thinking of getting MCP certified and getting my 70-270 cert which counts towards MCSE as well.

Is this a good course of action to take?

Thanks!

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Rather depends on what you are interested in.

As you are in IT at a Uni at a guess that involves a lot of networks. You might find the Network+ cert a breeze. And A+ and Network+ taken together can be used towards some M$ certs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

Yeah what Harry said. Those two count as an elective towards your MCSA/MCSE. You'll only be three exams away from coming an MCSA.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  4. CETech

CETech New Member

Thanks guys-

I am not sure if I want to go into networking - also I am looking to move out of the Uni and go to a larger company.

You think its still good to get the Network+ and MCSE/MCSA?

Also if I continue to work w/ desktop support etc.. should I still go for my 70-270?

Thanks!

5. CETech

CETech New Member

Yes, however I do not have to much "Network" experience- I do desktop support, users calling me and taking care of their problems.

Yes, I have of course done a lot of things with the network etc.. however I do not plan on going into network administration per say- more along the lines of customer support and later consulting..

That is where I am getting confused on which certifications to go w/- I thought the MCDST would be a good place to start?

Thanks again for the help.

6. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi CETech

What type of consulting do you want to get into? It is a wide field.

7. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Nibble Poster

The MCDST is a great place to start if you've got desktop support experience and it shouldn't pose too much of a problem. I did both exams in 3 months and am now working towards the 70-270. If I was you though I would probably go for the network+ anyway as there's always a need to diagnose network problems in any desktop support role, plus it looks good on your CV. Once you have that you can look at either going for the MCDST or just jump straight into the MCSA/MCSE.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-270, CCNA
  8. CETech

CETech New Member

Sandy- Not to sure yet as I have no experience in the field- probably software consulting.. going to look more into it.

Monkey-

Sounds good! How was the Network+ exam? I have some experience working w/ our network- etc..

Also another question was- for the MCSE/MCSA their are different exams IE Microsoft Windows 2000 and then Server 2003- do you just take one set of them or both?

Also what is the "CV"

Thanks!

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There are currently two MCSE tracks still being taught at the moment. MCSE on Windows 2000 products and MCSE on XP and Server 2003 products.

For someone starting out now, it makes the most sense to go for the more current cert, which is Server 2003.

A CV is another word used mainly in the UK for a resume.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. CETech

CETech New Member

Thanks a lot Blue - that clears things up :P