Question about back ups

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Gabor Hun, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Gabor Hun

Gabor Hun New Member

Hello everyone

Got a question in a college assignment and I cant get my head around it. Never in my life done back ups and I would be really thankful for some help .

The Scenario is the following:
    Doing a full back up on Sundays and incremental back ups each day of the week. A copy of the backed up data is taken to an offsite location on Wednesdays. Unfortunately the differential copies towards the end of the week have recently become unacceptably large and have to change the back up policy.

Obviously have to come up with a new back up policy. Would it be enough to change the days and re-think what kind of back ups need to be done??

I would be really grateful for any comments

Thanks a lot

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Typo?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Firstly, for this scenario to make sense to you I would recommend learning what the 3 different backup types actually do. Full Backup, Incremental backup and differential backup.

Once you know the difference, you should then know why a differential backup gets larger towards the end of the week and how to change the schedule to correct this.

Only other comment would be that your scenario seems a little confused using all 3 backup types in one policy, typically you'd only use either differential or incremental together with a full backup.

Mercury

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Does it mention any scope to change or what days are unnaceptable for full back ups?

If not I would do a full back through Wednesday night and an incremental every other day.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Gabor Hun

Gabor Hun New Member

Guys thank you very much for the replies!

Greenbrucelee: there is no unacceptable days for full back ups and there is no scope mentioned!
    Why would you do the full one on Wednesday and the incrementals on every other day? Is there a particular reason doing it midweek?

Thank you once again

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you study what the three different backup types do - full, differential, and incremental - the reason behind doing a full backup on Wednesday should be clear. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Always wondered why the full backup size is acceptable but the differential backup size is unacceptable. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs