Qualifications & Job Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by si.randall, Feb 20, 2006.

1. si.randall

si.randall New Member

Hey guys your input and advice would be very much appreciated :-) cheers

I have worked in the Armed Forces in a telecomms \ networking role for the past 4 years. Finally I've come to the decision to 'get out' and get myself a job without all the hassle the army life brings. I currently hold CCNA certification, City and Guilds Fibre Optic Technician and Structured Cabling along with a NVQ Level 3 in Telecommunications.
    I want to stay in the Networking engineer role but need advice on what certification, potentional employers looking for? Ideally I wish to go down CSSP security path but only problem is in my current role I don't get any hands on experience with firewalls or such forth- so not too sure if it would be feasible for me to try and self-study these topics?
    Would it also be worth studying perhaps for A+ and Security + as a foundation to CSSP- do the CompTIA certs actually mean anything to prospective employers?
    Well I have just short of a year left before I will be let free and keen to make myself as employable as I can be- any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Certifications: CCNA, Fibre\Structured Cabling,NVQ3 tels
  2. opi

opi Bit Poster

Maybe some other cisco certs, CCDA, CCNP, ..etc.
    Security+ could be a good starting point for CSSP but A+

If you already hold CCNA, i would go back to get an entry level cert like A+, its also more hardware based and basic OS based (has not much to do with networking or security)

Certifications: Network+
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you have a ccna right and want to get into security? if so then doing the a+ and n+ would be pointless cause they are 'very' entry-level certs.. if you passed ccna your networking is good so if i were you consider getting some experience under you belt if you dont have any.. anything from 1st line support to maybe just doing apprentice routing and switching cause without much experince nobody will let you touch there switches and routers!

now if security is your thing look at CCNP and or CCSP (cisco certified network pro/security professinal (two different certs)) otherwise if you want to get into admin look at the mcse path..

Good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. si.randall

si.randall New Member

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm pretty confident I have enough experience already in my current job role as a CCNA- I would really like to go down the CCSP path however my current employment does not allow me to get hands on experience with any PIX products and so forth.
    Do you think it is possible to 'self-study' if i purchase the relevant material as well as a low end PIX device?
    Thanks.

Certifications: CCNA, Fibre\Structured Cabling,NVQ3 tels
  5. opi

opi Bit Poster

I think there is also simulation soft for PIX or you can setup your own lab to get some hands on experience

Certifications: Network+
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that you already holding your CCNA will help you a great deal when it comes to seeking out employment on 'civvy street'. The fact that you have some experience in using it as well may help.

The problem that you are going to face is getting into a networking role in a company, because regardless of the certs you have, they may not consider what you have been doing in the army as valuable experience, so you may be forced to lower your slights slightly and look at 'entry - level', or helpdesk type roles, which don't pay great.

Although you say that you want to get into security, I would suggest that perhaps doing the CompTIA Security+, and an MCP in Server 2003 may be of better help to you than looking to do the higher certs, as they will show a good solid foundation, on which employers can build your skills they way that they want to.

8)