QOTD 290 10/09/04

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by AJ, Sep 10, 2004.

1. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

You are the Active Directory Administrator of CertForums.

CertForums has several AD domains running only Windows 2K3 domain controllers, and all clients are using Windows XP Pro. All AD domains are running in Windows Server 2003 mode.
    You create a Global security group in a child AD domain. Which of the follow can be the member of the Global security group? Select all that apply.

A) Users from any domains.

B) Users from the same domain.

C) Global security group from any domains.

D) Global security group from the same domain.

E) Domain local group from any domains.

F) Domain local group from the same domain.

Answer Tuesday

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'll take B and C and F. (I think:oops:)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. AJ

Anymore for this one ??????????

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

B, D, F.

Looked at this a few days ago, but I suppose it helps you if I type my answer lol :oops:

5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Sorry,thought I had replied lol :oops:

B C and F is my answer.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. AJ

Hi Chaps here is the answer

Correct answer is: AC

Explanation: Groups, whether a security group or a distribution group, are characterized by a scope that identifies the extent to which the group is applied in the domain tree or forest. There are three group scopes: universal, global, and domain local.
    -- Members of universal groups can include other groups and accounts from any domain in the domain tree or forest and can be assigned permissions in any domain in the domain tree or forest.
    -- Members of global groups can include other groups and accounts only from the domain in which the group is defined and can be assigned permissions in any domain in the forest.

-- Members of domain local groups can include other groups and accounts from Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows NT domains and can be assigned permissions only within a domain.

Group scope

7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

So wasn't I right then :scratch

8. AJ

ermmm No! :cry:

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Question:
    Explanation:
    Given Answer:
    This is an opportunity to find out why I'm not getting this.
    I've highlighted the areas that are casuing me confusion.

10. AJ

ffs I was posting a fairly vague reply to flex and then the pc crashed when I sent it. Bloody answer took ages to write and now I just can't be bothered to carry on. Flex my friend if I get chance tomorrow I'll try and explain it better, but the link I put in explains it pretty well. :blink

11. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Dam shame AJ, nevermind.

I know you've provided a link, but I'd rather rip this question apart to really see how we got the answer.

I simply will not walk away saying "yeah I think I sort of get that"

OK:!: :super

So I'll just sit here in the corner.I'll be fine, I've got me flask :berrr and a blanket :sleeping for the night.I'll meet you back here tomorrow.

12. AJ

Ok flex, sorry for the delay in replying but here goes. I am still learning this stuff myself, so may it seem a little disjointed.

The question states that the domain is in Windows 2003 mode (a bit like W2K native mode) This means that you can nest groups from different domains

The security group will be used to assign permissions to a resource within the domain. As this domain is a child domain then I think it would be safe to assume that there would be 2 way trusts between them. That then means that you can add groups and users from any domain within the forest.

That is about the best I can answer it mate. The link to the M$ site is very good.

If I have got the wrong end of the stick here, will someone please correct me before I get this thing into my head and it stays there :oops:

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I've read the link, and it confirms what I already thought in the first place.
    So how can Users from any domains (answer A) and Groups from any domains (answer C) be correct in this question?

If we're asking which groups and users can be a member of a Uiniversal Group, then the answer would be any User Accounts or Groups from any domains within the tree.

I think you may be confused because it says that you can nest other groups with the global group.

However, I believe this:

You create a Global group in your domain 'Certforums' ok.Let's call it 'Managers' group.
    You define this group as a Global group.

Now let's say you have another group in 'Certforums' domain.
    This is just a plain old regular group, we'll call it the 'Production' group

The Managers Global group can be assigned priviledges to any resources in any other domain (within the same tree I think).

So let's say you want your Managers to be able to access a printer in the 'Certtutor' domain.
    Well, when assigning access rights to the printer, you'll be able to choose the 'Mangers' group from the list, it will appear, because Managers are a global group.

Production group won't appear though, because that's a domain local group at 'Certforums' and this printer is at 'Certtutor' domain.

So, your managers (in the Certforums domain) are all set up with the ability to access the printer at 'Certtutor' domain.

But now suddenly you'd like your Production group to also be able to access the printer at 'Certtutor' domain.I don't know, because the printer at 'Certforums' has gone blown up or something.

A quick way to do this would be to add the 'Production' (regular group) group to the 'Managers' (global group).
    We can't:!: add any group (global or local) from Certutor domain to our Managers group at Certforums.
    For that to happen, the Managers group would have to be Universal.
    I just want to learn this.

Lord I hope I'm right :oops: