Putting Confidential for Employer on Resume

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rockets34Life, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

Do you guys do this on your resume for your current employer when you send out resumes?

I've been doing it just in case if the prospective employer knows someone at your current employment. I'm afraid if they get contacted, I could be out of a job. I figured it's a better chance of getting hired somewhere when you're employed and looking than not be employed and looking.

What do you guys think?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

A lot of places ask you to seal your applications and mark them 'private and confidential'.

I think it's partly because they contain a lot of personal detail, but mainly because some employers strip out your personal details (such as age, sex and address etc) to allow them to make a more impartial decision. They don't want any busybodies having a nose before hand.

In all honesty though, if you have the misfortune to apply for a job where someone knows your present employer it won't matter what you write on it. Some people are professional, some people aren't. Those that are don't need telling that it's not the done thing and those that aren't won't give a hoot.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I know of companies that have daily searches against monster/dice etc for anyone looking that lists the company as their current position, seems messed up if you ask me, unless they aim to use it to fix things :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

That's the risk I will run into. If the employer name is on there and someone notifies my employer that I'm looking around, there is the risk of me losing my job, which I don't want.

But I also don't want it to hinder my chances of getting a job....

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Do you mean that you're not actually putting the name of your current employer on your CV?
    Sorry, misunderstood you there, thought you just meant that you were marking your CV as confidential.

To be honest, it shouldn't come as a surprise to any employer that some of their staff are looking for career progression. Your boss is probably doing it too. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to have it spotted by someone who firstly knows your present employer and secondly feels the need to tell them.

I don't think you'd actually lose your job just because your CV is out there. We've all looked for work at some point and I've got no idea how many CVs I've got uploaded places. If you are of value to your present employer, they'll want to retain you. If you aren't, they won't care if you get another job.

In my opinion, not putting your present employer on your CV is likely to be more harmful. It makes it look as if you're hiding something, and recruiters don't have the time or inclination to muck about with that sort of thing.

If you're serious about looking for another job, you need to go for it like you mean it. Sooner or later your present employer is going to find out anyway.

6. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

The bolded part I don't agree with. Companies are always wanting to cover their ass. If I told them or if they found out I'm looking, they're going to want to get rid of me or start looking for a replacement while I'm still employed. And when they do, I'm out without a job looking for a job.

I asked a recruiter about leaving it confidential and they said it's a good idea so it doesn't get back to my employer that I'm looking. I will only reveal the employer only for jobs I apply directly.

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

How do you know they're not out there looking to replace you anyway?
    Have you ever tried googling your company's recruitment activity? :biggrin

Seriously, my point is that it isn't worth worrying about. You cannot be sacked or replaced just because someone found out you were looking for a job. It would be a tribunal made in heaven.

On the other hand, any company with an ounce of sense has plans in place for when an employee leaves. Depending on the role you do, of course.

But, whatever, your call to make.

BTW - I'm assuming that you are leaving all the other information off your CV that could be used to identify you, name, phone, email etc?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

I've started being a bit more careful when putting my CV about on Monster etc.

In the last couple of years I've changed my references to "Available on request". I don't put my date of birth or age on the CV.

I got caught out pretty bad a few years back. I'd gone for an interview and been offered and accepted a role with a new company before I'd even told my current employer. My new employer had a bit of slippage on start dates, so instead of handing in my notice as soon as I found out I'd got the job I kept working and planned giving in my notice on the exact 28 days before leaving.

I looked like a right **** when my new/future employer sent a letter to my current boss saying that I'd been offered a job and could they supply a reference.

I should have handled it better, but my then boss was cool about it. He could have easily given me a bad reference, but he gave me a glowing report and was sad to see me go. It was tough though, because I had to leave because we were a 1 line support environment. The only real progression route was to become the I.T team manager and I wanted to stay technically involved for as long as possible.

9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

There's never really an easy way of doing it. You'd be surprised how many employers find out about people moving on by way of a reference request. It kind of leaves a sour feeling when you realise that they weren't really at the dentist a few weeks ago either...

But it's the way of things. If your company has asked you to provide 28 days notice then that's all they need and all you are required to give. If they needed more, they'd say so.

And your boss would probably do exactly the same thing if it came about.

Oh, and I never upload my CV for the whole world to see either. It just attracts spam and/or the risk of identity theft. 8)

10. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

I think you must put your last employer details and there is no harm in putting it in your resume.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA