psu issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fastrhino, Nov 5, 2005.

1. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

IN my previous thread, boyce mentioned buying a good quality psu, i have seen a case by Aopen H600b which as a 350w psu, now i am unsure whether this is going to sufficient.

what is the main issues when choosing a psu, ie i have seen psu being refered tro as version 2.0 what does this mean.

i need power for sata drives and i am assuming 22 pin for the mobo ( or is that 24 pins , whatever) the later type of mobo power connection.

i don't want to buy the wrong type of psu and if the built in unit supplied with the case is not going to be upto the job then i may have to buy the case and psu seperate.

mick

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The quality of the PSU will depend on the load that it is going to be running.

If you are running fast drives then they will need more power to the motors than slower drives.

I would recommend that basedon the spec of the system you are planing on building that you should go for a 500 Watt PSU.

8)

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

1 quick thing to remember, a 600w PSU may not be a true 600w PSU (or whatever w's). There are PSU's that are 600w but their output is only 320w (like one of the PSU's I'm running). And there are PSU's that are 550w and their output is 550w - like the one my wife is running.

When buying a PSU know what you need. And always remember to read the tech sticker/sheet that comes with the item.

Just throwing my 2 cents in

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

ok, this psu issue is starting to confuse me a little, why are some case manufacturers not giving full specs for the psu they install. i have checked out some of thee well known case makers web sites and found there is little info on the exact spec od the psu and cables supplied.

i guess it is better to buy an empty case and buy a psu to satisfy your own requirments.

any recomendations welcome

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

rhino.

don't worrt mato!

Basically, some companies quote the theoritical maximum i.e 350, 400, 550 watt. This doesn't mean they can handle that output constantly.

Stay away from the cheap and nasty ones and go hehere to work out what power output you need.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. fastrhino

fastrhino Nibble Poster

thank you again boyce, i have checked on the calculator and i need 300w so i guess 350w will be safe. i want a high performance system but it will not be stretched to its power limits for what i will be using it for.

again any comments or recommendations welcome.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just to add a little Ohms Law to this discussion.

Power is measured in Watts and has the symbol P

(Watts are basically a measurement of the heat dissipated)

Voltage is measured in Volts and has the symbol V

Current is measured in Amps and has the symbol I

P = V X I

Given the mains voltage of 240 you can substitue V for that

P = 240 X I

So, it is the current (I) that is directly proportional to the power P dissipated (Watts).

So, the spec you read, for example 400W PSU, is not a constant, it is the maximum power that the PSU can handle.

Hope that helped lol :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nice one Pete, well explained. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Antecs are generally a good bet, as they meet and exceed there ratings on pretty much every rail

an antec case often comes with an antec 380w psu

my antec 380w psu is finally beginning to feel the burden
    but its running fine
    currently powering the following though

Mobo
    P4 3.2 800Mhz
    2GB LL DDR3200
    1x 146GB 10K SCSI disk
    2x 300GB 7.2k SATA disk
    2 x DVD+RW
    1x GeForce 6800 GT w/256MB
    1x Kyro 32mb
    1x Intel Dual 10/100/1000 NIC
    1x SB Audigy 2 Platinum Pro ZS or whatever its called (requires power)
    4x 80mm fans

its a bit of a beast, and its feeling the load since i upgraded the processor
    time to upgrade to a 500w

anyone heard of the Hiper ones? any good reports? i like the one with the BNC looking connections for the cables you want/dont want
    should keep things nice and tidy

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0