Provider Down, Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by nXPLOSi, Jul 23, 2007.

1. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Afternoon guys,

My company's email has gone down, we use an external provider to host our mail and unfortunately they're under water at the moment. I have setup an external account on hotmail so we can receive urgent files out of sheer panic.

I have never had problems of this sort before, and as im still on a steep learning curve, im completely unsure of what to do in this situation. The provider is "working towards restoring service" but if they're under water, Im worried it may be a few days if not a couple of weeks or more. Any suggestions or advice would be great!

Not a happy bunny.

Paul

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What to do in this situation... choose from the following:
    - continuously call and harrass them, even though they're probably working as fast as they can
    - take a Valium and sleep through it
    - grab a bucket, head to your provider's facility, and start bailing water

What to do so you don't get in this situation in the first place: host your own e-mail. :thumbleft

In other words... there's not much you can do. Consider this a learning experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thanks BM, I think i'll go for the Valium and sleep lol :)

Since i've been here its been this way. I did think it wasnt ideal but with so much else going on, it got left.

What does hosting your own email involve? Sorry if it seems a silly question, but im really new to this side of things.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Setting up an e-mail server and an MX DNS record to direct traffic to that e-mail server. It's certainly more complicated than that in the grand scheme of things, but that's basically it in a nutshell...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!