Protected EAP windows CE

Discussion in 'Networks' started by ManicD, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Trying to connect a win CE 5 plam to a network, normally when setting wirelesss auth we set

EAP: Protected EAP (PEAP)

then check the propertities button

anbd uncheck the "validate server certificate" box

but with a win CE 5 palm when you clcik properties, it errors "cannot connect to network...."

OF COURSE it cant connect, thats what i'm trying to set-up, lol

any ideas?

cheers

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Can you not configure ANY of its properties, eg the SSID, the wireless mode (infrastructure or ad-hoc), DHCP settings, or encryption method ?

I would look at ref manual for the palm and see how to configure its wireless interface, and whether the required config options are available for the wireless network you are connecting to. SSID and encryption type must match between the palm and the wireless access point, the mode should be 'infrastructure', and DHCP enabled.

I've never used WinCE, but I've never heard of a network connection in any version of Windows that refuses access to its property page because the network is not accessible.

Also has the palm worked OK on other wireless networks ?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  3. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

its the Authentication PEAP properties sheet i cant get into, everything else is fine and dandy, maybe this is just a quirk with Win CE 5

have not tried it on other networks might set up mini network see if i can logon then change the properties

4. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

It might also be worth investigating if any patches/service packs are available for WinCE 5, and install these onto your palm to ensure all latest fixes.

5. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

already checked and updated

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it possible to do a hard reset on the device on start over? I’ve had to do that with some PDAs over the years with various network connection problems.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

I would have done this but the isssue is across 8 different identical PDA's so its not just a random issue, its something that occurs to all of them

UPDATE: EXACT error message
    "cannot log on to the wireless network. This network requires a personal certificate to positively identify you"

8. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

9. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

Congrats, manic, on finding the above solution, and thanks for providing the links.

I'm sure there must be a few other people out there who encounter this problem.

I wonder why WM5 doesn't provide the required check box to deselect the "Authenticate the server certificate" option, for when an authentication server without an official server certificate is being used.