Proofs of professionalism

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Proofs of professionalism

Many practitioners in the IT industry are active in technical roles across a broad range of disciplines and technologies; however, there has been no qualification for ICT (Information and Communications Technology) technicians to aspire to so that they are recognised by peers, clients and employers. In January 2009, the IET launched ICTTech, a qualification for those who can competently apply ICT skills.

Qualified technicians will be held on a new national register by the Engineering Council UK. This register of professionals is expected to provide assurance to those clients seeking technical skills. The new standard requires a technician to demonstrate breadth of awareness in their activities. This promotes innovation by ICT Technicians, an area increasingly demanded by clients. Identifying competent people for particular roles will become easier, allowing projects and services to be delivered more effectively.

An open standard skills framework is already used in many parts of the IT industry. This is SFIA (Skills Framework for the Information Age). In developing the standard for ICTTech, Level 3 of SFIA was used as an input and it is embedded into the supporting documentation. SFIA Level 3 can be used by ICT Technicians to understand the typical responsibility levels and working relationships that reflect the level of competence required to become ICTTech.

Read the rest of this blog here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security