Promotion Dilemma

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by linuxuser, Jun 28, 2018.

1. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Hi All, it’s been a while sunce ive been on here!

I’ve been been offered a new position where I work :handshake: however, without going too much into details it means that I will be above the Seniors already in the team within the team hierarchy. Some of who have been within the team for a good number of years. A lot longer then me. Who infact was the newest member of the team.

To be honest, I’m excited for the opportunity and I guess hard work doesn’t go unnoticed as I’ve put in a lot of hours of my own personal time on many occasions. However I’m not too sure if the rest of the team are going to be too happy about it.. I’m sure there will be a few complaints and jealousy! :slapfight: Which is a shame because I actually get a long with everyone and do not have a problem with anyone.

Has anyone been in a similar position? How did you handle the situation?

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
  2. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Go for it. Doesn't matter how long you have been at a place there will always be jealousy initially but they will get over it at some point.

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I’ve been there a few times.
    There will always be backstabbers, no matter where you are in the team.
    It’s unlikely that anyone will say anything to your face so the problem will only be in your head.
    As long as you are reasonable and prove your worth, nobody is going to be able to hold a grudge. If they do, it’s their problem, not yours.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Thank you guys. I am definitely going to go for it and give it 110 percent. I’ve worked too hard not to.

If anyone decides to take their complaint to HR will it hold any weight? After all, I am skipping the position above me..

Hierarchy is like this:

1. Juniors and Apprentices
    2. Support Engineers (My current role)
    3. Senior Support Engineers
    4. New Role

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I was hired as a senior engineer and the newest member of the team, the hiring manager already had plans for me and was aiming to promote me to his old position of manager as he was being promoted to director.

I took the role on, newest member of the team and yes there were some issues but actually given time I've proven my worth to both management and staff, they now understand why they hadn't been offered the position.

Personally speaking I would go for it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Take it, dont let people get in your way. There are no friends in business.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it mate – always best to take these opportunities when you have the chance.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Thank you everyone!
    I start my new job in four weeks time :dance3:

9. nisseki

nisseki Byte Poster

Congrats.

What does the new role involve?

10. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

Thank you!

I will be responsible for leading/managing the systems operation team. A total of 16 support engineers, five of which are field based. The team consists of four Senior system engineers. It’s a lot of different skill sets and expertise within the team.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's a lot different and expect to get slowly hands off (I know, I am doing that kind of role myself).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA