Prometric fees

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by twizzle, Sep 5, 2011.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok i know Microsoft have put thier fees up for exams, so now any MS exam at prometric costs £99 instead of the old £88. I can live with that. However it now seems prometric also charge a rescheduling fee? Since when??? I just had to reschedule my MS 70-270 as i'm supposed to sit it Thursday, but for various reason i wont be able to know. Wanted to book it late October and they've charged me £21! Never happened before. Surley this means it will stop people booking an exam for a date, then deciding thier not ready and try to book it for a later one, meaning more under prepared people sitting exams and failing?
    Has anyone else noticed this? and since when did they start doing this?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It changed recently. To be fair they always did charge, it's just that they've decided to change the amount of time before the exams when they don't. It's a week now I think.
    I think it's a better way because it stops the schedules getting clogged up with people who won't be ready to take the exam but just haven't got round to cancelling/rescheduling it yet. Gives people like me, who schedule a couple of weeks in advance, a better chance of getting the date and time they want.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This charged was introduced on the 15th of July.

-Ken

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Kitkatninja

Since when? I've done MS exams now for the best part of a decade and have never been charged for an exam re-schedule. The charge now comes into effect within 15 days of the booked exam.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Just cut out the middle man (the Prometric Website) and book directly with the test centre. That way you can change appointments as and when you wish with no charge.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Umm surely the test center will get charged and pass the charge on?? I mean if the charge is being levied by the test provider (Prometric) then it doesn't matter who you order the test through, the charge will still be there?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

Yeah, came as a shock to me too! I think I was one of the first to fall foul of this extra fee. See HERE

I don't book exams until I'm ready now.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I assumed they charged if you cancelled/rescheduled within 24 hours before the exam. I've never tried it but it always has been part of the T&Cs of booking an exam as long as I've been taking them.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

No. There is no charge if booking directly with the test centre. The test centre doesn't just log on to the Prometric website for you and book your test. They use a system called TCFlow or the older software Pulse/Polaris to make bookings.

It's a nice little earner for Prometric for doing sweet fa.

edited to add: The new software (TCFlow) also now allows for same day re-scheduling of tests, with the older software it was not possible to re-schedule within 24hours.

10. Kitkatninja

This is down to the discretion of the test centre, the test centre can charge for this.

-Ken

11. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

They can, but there is need for them to do so and at no point in the re-scheduling process does it ask if you wish to add a cancellation fee. Won't stop a lot of them from doing so though.