Project Management

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by arj7, Dec 6, 2011.

1. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Hi there, I have been a frequent user of these forums and have had many great pieces of advice of it so would like to say thanks to everyone who uses it.

Anyway I have always had an interest in project management however I do not have a Prince2 certification etc would you say it would be a good idea to get this cert and then apply for a project management job or would it not matter as I do not have the necessary project management experience?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I suppose it depends on what sort of projects and what sort of industry sector...

As with all 'certs' you need a mixture of qualifications and experience.
    Interestingly enough, when I did my Prince2, the people who got on best on the course were people with no project experience. Those that had worked with projects before quibbled over terminology and were full of 'that's not how we do it...' whereas those without had a more open mind.

There are other project methodologies out there, but I guess Prince2 is the best known in the UK, and a must if you want to do public sector work.

Getting your Prince2 won't automatically qualify you for a 'project management' role, you'll need to start working as a project team, or managing very small projects for a while. Actually getting Prince2 is no help what so ever when you actually put the PM hat on for the first time.

Microsoft have their own project management cert which is aimed at Dynamics solution implementations (Sure Step) but it's almost impossible to find decent training material for it.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Thanks for responding.

Im in a position where Im finding work in general to be a problem so Im considering it, but Im worried that I will do it and still be a square one.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, I'm a firm believer that doing something is better than nothing.
    I did Prince2 when I had access to funding after being made redundant. It certainly didn't magic up any opportunities for me, especially without any relevant prior experience.
    But it went on my CV, and at least it opens the doors for you to apply for stuff that has it as a requirement.
    Now I'm doing a job in which it is pretty useful, so there you go.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
    wagnerk likes this.
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what JonnyMX already said.

Added to this, if you do go for a project management cert (regardless of whether it's Prince2, Project+, PMP or another cert from PMI), you don't have to go for a specific project management role. Some IT jobs actually have project work/project management as part of it's role. And any project management knowledge and experience is a bonus/valued.

For example, in Modey's and my job role we every year are involved in various projects in one form or another. In some either Modey or I will take the lead (eg site wide wireless, new servers, expansion, etc), in others we take the position of team member (new builds where IT is a part, not the whole of the project).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security