Progression to 2nd line

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Rico94, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Rico94

Rico94 New Member

My first post so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I have been working in a 1st line role for 9 months now, i have an HND in computing and recently completed the ITIL V3 foundation course. I don't think i'm a 1000 miles away from being capable of 2nd work and think if i bide my time at this company an opportunity will come up.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice as to course etc i could do to get myself "up to 2nd line speed" in the meantime.

Any suggestions/advice greatly appreciated.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Experience is the primary thing, which you seem to be getting.

I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and/or the MCDST. All three are useful.

What does 2nd line do where you work? The reason I ask is because it is different everywhere.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Rico94

Rico94 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I am definetly getting experience and the 2nd line guys are happy to help when they can, i am just keen to do some more on my own to speed things along.

It's a bit of a grey area what 2nd line do, officially it's "whatever 1st line cant fix". 1st line can remote onto users pcs but if it is something that requires you to physically visit the user it has to be passed to 2nd line.
    Anything they cant fix or that is outwith their remit is passed to network engineers or applications engineers.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like those certs would do you well, then. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!