Professor Messer - 801/802

Discussion in 'A+' started by shadowwebs, Oct 4, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I just wanted to let everyone know that Professor Messer has started to upload his study material for the new A+ exam, 801/802.

Not all the material has yet been uploaded, but for anyone wanting to go down the 801/802 route, it may be worth a look.

I am actually thinking that once the 801/802 comes out, I may take the bridge exam to upgrade my 701/702

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

I wish he would make a start on some different exams :x

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  3. shadowwebs

A few of us have thought this I am sure as his study material is very good for what is required to pass an exam.

Which courses do you want him to cover?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. jvanassen

Any that im going to do ;) lol.

Im currently studying Exchange and am using CBT Nugget videos but they tend to be a bit long winded especially there AD videos.

5. shadowwebs

Best idea is possibly to make yourself an online blog where you can put your study notes and others can comment on, or even make your own videos?

- - - Updated - - -

... the only reason i mention about making your own videos is that i have thought about doing this myself in the past with VB coding as a lot of them out there havent been great, but i have been struggling to learn it all again anyway.

6. snahfu

snahfu New Member

has professor messer taken the 801?

if not, what comptia versions has he taken?

where does he find the info needed to create those videos?

just random questions in my head :P

7. NetworkMD

NetworkMD Bit Poster

I just completed the 801 and for my test Messers videos were very close, I think it takes a couple of sources to learn all of the key materal for the 801. A BIG help just before the test to take the cover off of an ATX based PC and make sure I had a good understanding of all the key components where they are where they are plugged in etc...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  8. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

If he is doing all this out of the goodness of his heart - without expecting anything in return - then I don't think people ought to be complaining that he doesn't cover every certification under the sun. Helping people get base level certifications is fantastic, because those people don't usually have a lot of $$$ to spend on training. But helping people who are making a good salary by offering free learning material, can't be considered nearly as necessary.

The Zig, Sceritz and Sheeda like this.
  9. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I think you hit the nail on the head there, LinuxMint.
    And he does do a few more advanced courses. The problem with doing advanced course, is he'd have to put so much time into constantly learning the new stuff and making new videos, and then rinse and repeat every time someone churns out a new version of software. With that kind of time cost, it'd be a full time job just keeping up, and you'd be nuts to give it away for free!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  10. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

I was thinking the same thing...

11. jvanassen

Youl probably find although he is providing these for free he more than likely earns a nice whack from the adverts on his site ;) also i wasn't really complaining.....

12. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

I keep finding this thread via Google, today. Sorry to bump an old one.

In reply to you jvanassen, yes he does make money off of Youtube and advertising. But I doubt he makes enough to live on. If he did I'm sure we'd see tons of videos.

I'm hearing this about the 801 & 802 exams:

The Biggest Differences Between 701/702 and 801/802
    To summarize, the CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 220-802 exams:
    Are more rigorous
    Focus more on mobile devices and networking.
    Include support for tablets and cell phones
    Have a greater emphasis on Winodws 7
    Expect 1 year of hands on experience (up from 500 hours – 12.5 weeks)
    Additionally, hardware and networking are now concentrated in 801, while security and OS/software troubleshooting are concentrated in 802.

Consequently I'm rather surprised that Professor Messer offers less videos than he did for 701 & 702. There are about 30 less videos. Is he done uploading all videos for 801 & 802?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  13. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont know if someone who is a complete novice could watch ProMs vids and pass the exams.. Im pretty sure ProM has finished uploading the vids for the exams... I've chosen to go the college root to get my A+, yes more costly but atleast I'll get some practical experience at the sametime.