Professional Registration via IET or BCS

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by telmacbrit, Dec 9, 2010.

1. telmacbrit

telmacbrit New Member

I'm a full member of both the IET and BCS and am looking to go for CEng registration. Does anyone have any advice or preference about which organisation to go through? Does it make any difference? I'm also assuming that as long as I remain a member of at least one of the orgs, my CEng would remain intact? Or is it linked to a particular organisation?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, have you thought about going for the CITP?

Personally no, but then again I'm only a member of the BCS and not the IET.

Not really, both have to use the same criteria set by the ECUK.

Yes (and that you pay the annual fees).

No, just as long as the organisation that you belong to is allowed to issue/retain the CEng.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Personally I got such short shrift from IET I wouldn't join then now. They were so disinterested in trying to help me get it I gave up.

For a smoother ride I'd suggest BCS but that's only my view from my own experience - others may say differently

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I got the impression CEng is easier to obtain from the IET, its pretty much a recommendation system, so without someone who is CEng to put you forward you are going to struggle, networking with IET members is likely to be your best bet, I also think IET membership fees are a bit less.

Otherwise they share lots of benefits and even some lectures are joint lectures.

I gave up on obtaining CEng in the end as it is a bit long winded.

I found CITP easier to qualify for but it doesn't carry as much weight in certain circles as CEng.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Unfortunately no, they aren't...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security