Professional Advice needed

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by dburnejones, Jul 17, 2012.

1. dburnejones

dburnejones New Member

My company is willing to sponsor me (would have to pay back if I leave the company within 18 months of completing the course) for Professional IT courses preferably through distance learning (or they can let me have 5-7 days per year for attending training each year)

I have looked around and not able to find many courses.

Here is my back ground;
    • BSC equality degree in Computer Science
    • OCA certification PL/SQL
    • Over three years experience in .Net and Database development.
    • Currently working on .Net and Oracle 10g.

I have short listed two courses and just thinking which one is best;

-Microsoft .Net Certification (Buy Books and SelfTest Software)
    -BCS Diploma in Solution Development (through Systems Development Training Courses , they offer one BCS module through distance learning)

Is there any distance learning course provider for .Net certification?

Who normally marks those BCS exams papers which are done through training providers?

2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Don't!.

Self-study. Self-fund. Don't sign anything that makes you liable to pay anything back when you leave.

My 2 cents

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
    dmarsh likes this.
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally, I don't mind the "sign to say that I'll pay back if I leave with X amount of time", provided there are clauses (eg the fee is waved if I get made redundant or if I'm "let go" within that time frame). I've done it before, and if I'm given the opportunity I'll take my current employers up on it (if I'm offered). I'm in no rush to leave, I actually like the place.

Normally, the BCS do and if it's one of those computer exams, it will self-mark based on the answer guide from the BCS (eg like Prometric), like Microsoft, Cisco, Comptia exams :)

Personally, I wouldn't know which one to advise you to go for. As I'm not a programmer, I've had my fill (currently) of MS certs, so I'd be leaning towards the BCS diploma, but it's your choice :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. dburnejones

dburnejones New Member

I think examination providers have their own papers and may be they mark them as well.

I got this from BCS website;

Accredited Examination Provider

BCS accredits Examination Providers and promotes those organisations which demonstrate that they use competent staff and suitable examination papers. BCS does not accredit the course materials used by the Examination Providers who deliver the courses for the BSD scheme. If you attend a training course, details of the exam can be obtained from your Examination Provider.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You have a computer science degree and an OCA certification, really a BCS diploma isn't going to mean anything.

A few places might like to see MCPD/MCSD but again its not a strong requirement for most programming jobs. I'd recommend self study for most certs.

I wouldn't get into debt unless something very special indeed is on offer, most of these courses aren't anything special.
    Its very hard to find good advanced level training, I've just come back from a course in the US for this very reason.

I would take the standard annual training budget and try and carve out your own training regime. One week a year in class isn't going to cut it for certainly the beginning of your career. I think you are looking at 10-20 hours self study per week when starting out.

There are many free and low cost options for study like books, blogs, and online videos.

For instructor led training look around to see what is available, look at the lecture circuit, look at expert groups, look at user groups, look at summer schools or distance learning from red brick universities, look at professional training providers, etc.

Ultimately good Experience is king and marketing yourself well.

So also I'd look into personal projects, maybe a masters degree, or simply taking a more challenging and interesting role.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  6. Kitkatninja

That's a point, if they are will to pay for that (and you don't have the finances) :) 18 months is a good time period.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes, I think a good masters would cost you £7000+ so if they agreed to sponsor that it would be worth accepting the golden handcuffs for 2 years.

LukeP likes this.
  8. Kitkatninja

Job security :)

9. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I agree with you Ken on masters. But anything less than that is just not worth it.

I think it's reasonable to say that you can fast track your IT career at the beginning if you're working extremely hard and are a fast learner. I don't feel like I've cut any corners but I've been working/studying/working on personal projects for about 10-12 hours in total on average for last 3 years. I've progressed my career immensely in my opinion and this is nothing compared to what craigie has achieved in same 3 years. So it can be done. Locking yourself up with an employer for 18-24 months at beginning of your career seems like a safe and slow way to get somewhere. (No offense meant but somehow public sector comes to mind).

I realise that not all areas in the UK will offer same career progression opportunities but relocating is sometimes a good way to progress not only your career but also your life (entertainment, education, fitness, social circles, networking, etc.).

What if the OP spots a great opportunity to progress his career and the only reason for him not being able to accept it was lack of funds to pay off current employer.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure