Processor stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Mar 27, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

currently on my desktop i have a slow 839 mhz processor. Id like to up grad this to something a bit faster , anything like at leats a 1.5, how would i go about this , as its a dell i wasnt able to overclock it so im not sure if id be able to just put another processor in ??

Any ideas ??

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This will depend on the motherboard in the unit, and the BIOS.

Look the model up on Dell's site to see if they have any upgrade path.

For anyone here to help we will need the model number, and preferably the Service Tag as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

*If* this is an Intel processor then they never made a 839MHz one that I'm aware of!

Taking the nearest possibilities this is likely to be a Socket370 unit with a coppermine series CPU. The fastest CPU in that range was 1.1GHz. The difference would not be very noticeable IMHO, and certainly not worth the hassle of changing it.

Harry.

4. zxspectrum

Sorry my fault,its an intel pentium 3 863

5. hbroomhall

Aha! That would make it a PIII EB (866MHz) unit. Fastest in that group was 1133MHz. I doubt you would see much performance improvement fitting that. And that assumes the motherboard would handle the multiplier.

My rule of thumb is to double CPU speed to see much improvement, and that is only 30% up.

You would have to check with Dell whether the Tualatin core CPUs could be fitted to that motherboard. But even if you could you would only get up to 1400MHz.

Harry.

6. zxspectrum

I know what you mean , but i tuink ill leave it , ill just have to save for my laptop , which is on special deal in aldi . Thanks for your advice thoguh