Problems with multiple users on Mozilla

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Wisteria, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

Hi - I am a newbie and not very technically minded I'm afraid so please be gentle with me!

I've recently installed a wireless router in my office with two other machines (one a laptop and one a downstairs pc) networked to it. The problem is, that as soon as one of the subsidiary machines is turned on and finds it's connection I lose my internet connection upstairs on the main computer. I can still access the net through my windows mail and it works fine so there is obviously a connection there but I can't get onto the web...... any ideas?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Mozilla what? Firefox? Or something else?

How is all this connected together?

You say that you 'lose your internet connection', but say you can access the 'net. Is your 'windows mail' Outlook?

Best thing to test whether things are working is to bring up a cmd window on each machine and type "ping news.bbc.co.uk" and see if they all work. If they do then the basic network is working.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

Hi - and thank you for responding.

I'l try to be clearer; I have a connection through all machines at the same time but cannot access the web from my main machine if one of the other machines is on (internet connection is triggered on start up). I have a connection to the internet as I can still access my windows mail (new version of outlook) and send and receive mail etc but as soon as I try to open mozilla (firefox) or any other website I just get told that Firefox can't find the server....

I don't understand it at all! What's a CMP window (sorry for being clueless)?

4. hbroomhall

Ah! This is Vista!

What actual connections do you have. i.e. what cable connects your main machine to the router, how does the router connect to the phone-line? and how do the two other machines connect to the router?

Make an model of the router?

The CMD window can be accessed via 'run', which on XP is available from the 'start' button. I believe it is still there somewhere on Vista (I don't use vista much).

Harry.

5. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

OK - I'll have a go but probably won't use the correct jargon so sorry in advance for that!

Router is Zyxel with a LAN cable and DSL cable going into a splitter to the phone/ internet line, to be honest I can't see where it connects to the main machine - my it guy set it up but he's now away and it's doing my head in that when the kids get in from school I lose my internet connections......
    The laptop has a built in wireless connection, which is what I am using now, no problems
    The downstairs PC has a wireless stick thing plugged into a USB cable.

Does that make any sense?

6. hbroomhall

Yup. I needed to be sure that the Zyxel is plugged directly to the phone splitter, and that you have an Ethernet cable (LAN) from the main machine to the Zyxel.

To get the CMD windows to appear you need to find and click on the 'Run' menu, and type 'cmd' into the box that appears.

This is the sort of result you should get:
    Code:
    U:\>ping news.bbc.co.uk

Pinging newswww.bbc.net.uk [212.58.226.20] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.58.226.20: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=56
    Reply from 212.58.226.20: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=56
    Reply from 212.58.226.20: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=56
    Reply from 212.58.226.20: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 212.58.226.20:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 1ms, Maximum =  10ms, Average =  4ms

U:\>

If you get 'timed out' in the message then that indicates a failure.

Harry.

7. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

Right, sorry for the delay daughter came home and I had to hide the laptop as it is her b'day present tomorrow!
    Then I couldn't connect to the www for ages, I have now, from my main computer and it is fine again - I did your ping thing and it was fine, similar response to your quote above except higher numbers.

I know this will be fine now until someone puts on another computer in the house and then i will lose this connection! It's very annoying.......

8. hbroomhall

OK - I had hoped you would be able to turn on all three at once and try the ping. It would have eliminated a number of possibilities. But I understand about the present!

Happy birthday to her for tomorrow! :queen

Harry.

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Can you surf the net with IE7 but not with Mozilla/Firefox when you are having problems?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

Hi Ffreeloader- thanks for your time

My IT guy absolutely hates IE so has taken it off.......... Should I put it back on do you think?

11. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

Harry - thank you, When they've gone to school tomorrow I'll try it again with all 3 on and get back to you on the 'ping' test..

12. hbroomhall

Basicaly - yes (in my opinion). Not because I particularly like it, but far too many sites need it to work correctly.

It has far too many security holes, so use Firefox most of the time!

Harry.

13. Wisteria

Wisteria New Member

Thanks for all your help people - my friend has come round and sorted it anyway! There was a problem with the DNS set up but all is working swimmingly now.

He hadn't 'got rid' of IE either, that was me being stupid...... he said exactly what you said Harry, you clever bod.

Anyway thought I ought to let you know that it is all ok now and I'm very grateful for your tolerance of my technophobic posts last night ;-))

14. hbroomhall

No probs - glad it is all working now!

Harry.

15. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

No. That wasn't the point of my question. I was just curious as to whether the behavior you were experiencing was related to Firefox alone, or to all browsers.

Seeing that the problem is now fixed, the point is moot.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1