Problems with boot sequence

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Varion, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Varion

Varion Bit Poster

Hi all,
    Just installed a new harddrive(Maxtor 80gig), no problems. While I was in my rig I noticed the source of an irritating noise ive had coming coming from me tower. The Gpu fan was stop starting with a grinding noise. It is an old card a Ti4200. I took the fan off the card to see if I could fix it, but it looks like the motors have gone. I put the card back in comp and switched comp on.

However now the comp boots up but when it go's to the screen where it registers the componenents, it registers my P4 CPU, after amin it the registers the memory and then the ide devices and boots into xp. This usually took about 10 seconds before but now takes nearly 2 mins to get to the XP welcome screen.

Any help.

2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What happens if you disconnect the new HDD again, does it go back to normal?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

if the graphics card fan has fallen off, it has probably cooked the card - hence no boot.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

boyce looks like we are booting but way too long.. to me it sounds like a HDD problem but the HDD is new (yet its Maxtor) if you have another HDD try that...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What type of HD is it? IDE? If so check jumper settings and even remove it from the system and try booting again 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I wager it wont boot into XP without a hard drive :dry :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

try also repairing the installation using the recovery console.. maybe something got corrupted.. :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think a repair would be unlikely to sort this out.

I agree with Sparky, check the jumper settings slave / master and make sure they are correct - then go into the BIOS and make sure that it is set to auto detect, exit and save settings. It sounds like it is auto detecting the HDD on every boot, if you go into the BIOS and save settings that sometimes speeds things up. Also look for a setting named fast boot or something like that, and enable it.

9. Varion

Varion Bit Poster

Sorry wasnt to clear.

I only messed with the gpu after I had checked everything with the hard drive. Comp booted no problem, bios recognized hdd, went into computer mgmt and formatted it into a NTFS partition. No problems, then rebooted comp still no problems.

It was only when I disconnected the 2 pin fan from the actual gpu that my problems started.(This was after I installed hdd and checked it). When I rebooted the comp without the gpu fan attached to the card, it was then that it started taking ages to boot. When I re-attached the fan still the same problem(Fan completly gone now). The graphics card gets really hot now, but will still render graphics for games okay.(Unable to get a cooling fan to replace the one on card due to its age).

Just to clarify, When booting:-

1/ 1st screen recognizes the graphics card.
    2/ Then jumps to 2nd screen which system check, recognises the cpu then pauses.
    3/ After about a minute, it reads the memory anf its frequency(which takes another 10 secs)
    4/Quickly reads the ide devices and boots.

The only other info I have was when I went to crucial.com and ran there system analyse tool it had problems getting info about the graphics card. Not happened before.

Hope this helps :)

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In which case I'd suspect that the graphics card is struggleing to cope, and may have switched into a non-accelerated mode.

Best just to replace it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For some reason I thought the new drive was installed as a slave. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ah yes, re-read the thread and you are correct - my bad :oops:

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Varion,

Let's review the "fire triangle." A fire needs: 1) fuel 2) oxygen 3) heat. Is your computer in some sort of environmentally controlled non-oxygen atmosphere? If not, then there's the oxygen. Now, your computer components make good fuel for a fire. If you don't believe me, ask anyone who had a Dell laptop with a battery that malfunctioned causing the laptop to burst into flames. Finally, a fire needs heat. That heat source could be your overheating graphics card. Remember that the purpose of a fan is for cooling. Cooling reduces the heat to a safe level. No cooling, then the head may rise to an unsafe level. Heat at an unsafe level may complete the fire triangle and start a fire.

So unless you replace your graphics card with a non-functioning cooling fan, you may have bigger problems than a "slow boot sequence." I hope you have fire insurance.

Links:

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. Varion

Varion Bit Poster

:)

Okay R.H.Lee Thx for the warning Ive replaced the card with a new one and updated it with the latest driver from the nvidia site. Ive also updated the bios for my motherboard from thier website ( Ive got a P4 Titan GA-8SR533, from Gigabyte).

However I still have the problem of the slow boot sequence. A friend said it may be taking so long as when the card packed in it may have damaged the memory, which is why it is taking so long to read it. Someone else said I would have to reset the bios relay switch or take the cmos battery out wait a bit then put back in a nd reboot.

Any help would be appreciated :)

15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I guess it depends on where you say the *slowness* is. Is it at POST or afterwards?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Varion

Varion Bit Poster

I would say it was during the POST sequence.

1st screen pops up recognizes the Graphics card.
    This then go's off and the screen with the Bios infomation comes on.

Comes up with checking system health identifies the cpu, then pauses for about 2 minutes and then reads the memory (Slowly) and then onto the ide devices and then boots

17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Is there a BIOS option to enable fast memory checking?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  18. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Also check for an option that automatically configures the HDD on IDE etc, rather than using autodetect at every boot up

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  19. Varion

Varion Bit Poster

may be a problem with the 1st hard drive, comp just crashed and when I rebooted it it went to a screen with a lot of jargon on it(Sorry dont know what the hell im looking at). At the bottom it said trying to boot from cd, then boot failure install boot disk. When I rebooted I noticed that the ide 1 wasnt recognized.