Problems callers

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Alex Wright, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

I'm sure all of those that have, or do, work on a helpdesk have come across them at some stage in their career.

The question is: Why is it that people think that they have a right to speak to others with absolutely no respect just because that person on the end of the phone is not there in person? For example, a guy calls up first thing this morning enquiring as to where his new Mac is. "Why isn't it here on my desk ready?" he says, I ask him, "do you have a reference number Sir?", "000989" he says, so I look at the call logged on the system. "We only received the request form at the close of business on Friday Sir, it will be set up as soon as possible, it's currently in a que". "A que, a bloody que", he says, "what's wrong with you, I've sent the form back?" I answered "the company policy is that you give us two weeks notice." He continued to shout and swear down the end of the line, I guess you could call it verbal abuse.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job and really enjoy helping people, but for crying out loud there are 1500 people that work for my company, and on average 75-80 different people waiting to be set up on a new PC or Mac. That's not including upgrades, office moves, and other problems that arise during the day.

Now why is it that these people believe that they're far too important to follow SIMPLE rules and regulations just like the rest of us? Is two weeks notice really too much to ask when ordering equipment? Do they honestly believe that one and a half days notice is reasonable to set up a new starter's Mac, PC, e-mail address etc? Honestly, sometimes it really does begger belief.

I do apologise for the afternoon moan. I guess I'm just interested to learn how often, if ever, you guys get calls like this, and what techniques you use to remain calm?

Sorry if you think that I'm being overly sensitive, it's just I'd NEVER contemplate speaking to somebody else like I was spoken to today. It's left me feeling tired and not wanting to go back to work tomorrow, which isn't fair. :(

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, I look forward to your replies.

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Been there, done that. We had a policy of 48 hours for new user accounts. Didnt stop people giving me an ear bashing ten minutes after they submitted it, saying that the person started last week and this is urgent.

The regulars found that I was much more accomodating when they played by the rules most of the time (I accept that there will be slipups), and ask me nicely if theres anything I can do. If you get pissy with me, I just used that standard line of, we say 48 hours on the site, its clearly there when you submitted it, its in a queue and will be dealt with when we get to it.

On the subject of abuse. If you feel that you are actually being abused on the phone, bring it up with your manager and, if you feel its bad enough, raise a formal grievance. Its not permitted (especially more so if you arent an outsourced company - its no less permitted, but it gets swept under the carpet more). Under UK law you dont have to put up with shite like that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with your company policy. I personally work in a mid sized company so we don't have as much work load on setting up computers as you guys do, plus I always have spares just in case of times like these.

This situation with an employee hasn't really happen to me yet but I do understand where you are coming from. I usually explain to the user from the get go that if any request are made, expect to wait around a week for the request to be fulfilled. Reason being is that aside from all of the requests from the users, I have other work and projects to consider which at times are much more important then certain requests.

If someone were to give me attitude like that, I would just make it very clear and in respectful way to never talk to me like that again and if they have any issues speak with upper management. I believe that you don't have to argue or insult the person in order to get the person to understand.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Alex Wright

Theprof,

I agree. If I'd started shouting and screaming back at the user I'd have felt twice as bad to be honest. I feel deeply sorry for people that conduct themselves in this way.

"Thou shalt love thy neighbour". That old saying from the Bible seems to bare less significance these days. :p

5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

If I were in a really mischevious mood I would have taken a photo of one of the other macs and stuck the photo on his desk with a note. :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Alex Wright

Not a bad idea that Wizard. I'll bare it in mind for next time!

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On the contrary, it's MORE significant, if only because fewer people follow it these days.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Alex Wright

Right you are Michael. I wish I was more like you, you're never wrong! :hahaha

9. BosonMichael

Thank you for the compliment... but my wife would disagree with you. ;) heheh!!!

To be honest, I have been wrong many times in the past. I don't mind being wrong - I can use those instances as learning experiences. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. Alex Wright

That's a great attitude to have. If you don't mind me asking, how do you stay so focused? I look at your signature and faint! When there's a good programme on TV, what stops you from watching that and instead getting out the books?

11. BosonMichael

Because my situation is different than most IT professionals...

...I write certification training products for a living. :) Plus, I've been in IT for about 10 years, and have been messing with computers for about 28 years.

Before I started writing, I was a "real tech" (and was a "real tech" again from 2005-2007), where I got the MCSE, MCSE+I (old school elite certification), and CCNA. Everything else (including the A+ and Network+) has come since I've been a writer.

That said, I do still study things on my own. For example, I'm not writing about the 70-298 Windows 2003 Security Design exam... but I'm studying for it.

How do I get out the books? I love the challenge of getting certified. Plus, I know that if I ever stop learning, I start becoming as obsolete as the technologies I can support, which decreases my "value" to employers.

Real-world experience will also help you so that studying is not such a chore. When you've got a "real-life" experience to tie your studying to (like, "Oh yeah, I remember configuring a VPN like this for Client X"), then it becomes much easier to tie everything together and fully understand what they're teaching. The more real-world experience you have, the easier these exams become. :)

For example, I've administered NetWare networks before, so when I started studying and writing for the CNE exams, it was pretty easy. However, I've never administered a real-world Oracle server, so when I started studying and writing for the OCP on Oracle 9i exams, it was difficult for me. Experience makes all the difference in the world.

Hope this gives you some good motivation! You can do it... it just takes time. :)

12. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Just wanted to add my 2 cents

but my focus is the end result, i have a passion for all things Tech. When im not learing stuff directly relavent for the exam im looking to take next im fiddling with some form of tech.

TV isnt really much of a destraction as i dont tend to watch it dont ever have time really. even tho i have a 28" widescreen in my room (its used more as a PC moniter for my spare pc than a TV) and freeview all the good stuff is on Cable TV :(

Id rather read a book than watch TV. put some good music 'Tallica or skindred or similar, kick back and delve in. most of it is skim reading untill i get to an interesting or challenging part then i go off on one and learn that part in depth EG WSUS and RIS/WDs i stopped reading the server books i was learing from and just downloaded and installed them on my mock DC and played with them on my network and read any vaguley interesting KB/How to article on MS technet i could find. then i got on and get to the next part of the interesting parts.

at the moment im in the middle of 2 "projects" First is to build the vitutal PCs for Course 2279 For the tutor at my training center.
    the seccond is to build a virtual lab for course 2277 for me to play with at home as i need to be taking the 70-291 exam in the next month or so. (i aim to pass my MCSA before my MCP welcome pack turns up :P)

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Alex,

First, I know the feeling of "that @$$h0l€" giving you it tight in the neck down the phone - but bear in mind ... at the end of the day, you kept your cool and didn't kick off like an ignorant and undignified tw@t, unlike him/her !!!

And as the rest of the Guys have said, you will draw and learn from this experience. My personal method of dealing with these sanctimonious bawbags on the phone was to develop a marvellously (if I may say so) understated sarcastic tone of sucking up to them ... such that they would only probably realise that I had pissed on them a few minutes after they got off the phone. Damn, that's a good feeling (make sure you ARE in the right with this one, tho !! :oops: )

As for Mike never being wrong ???? Sheesh, that loser doesn't even know that a " ;) " is pronounced " :wink: " What does he know ... ???

:tongue (BIG time !!!)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. BosonMichael

Actually... it is the forum owners who do not know that a wink should always be specified as ;) (with or without nose).

But what good is a claim without a bunch of references to lend credence to the argument? 8)

PC World
    Sharpened Glossary (with links confirming its usage on AOL IM, Yahoo IM, ICQ, and Windows Live Messenger)
    Wikipedia
    Microsoft Chat
    Windows Messenger

and to top it all off... from the creator of the smiley emoticon himself, Scott Fahlman.

So if I'm wrong... talk to THEM. ;) heh!!! :p

15. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

One of my friends had an interesting call the other day, it went something like this...

customer: Hi, id like to buy BT vision
    friend: Ok, no problem il just transfer you through to sales who can deal with that for you.
    customer: its ok i dont want it now.
    :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  16. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Maybe he wanted to buy the company :biggrin

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  17. Alex Wright

The company I work for (Future Publishing) publishes that magazine. Did your friend get the name of the salesman? :)