Problem with Windows backup

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sparky, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don’t usually use Windows backup on a server but unfortunately I have inherited a server that does not have any decent backup software installed.

Basically after configuring the Windows backup to run as a scheduled task it kicks in and the backup window displays but then nothing happens. WTF! Nothing in the event logs.

To get the backup to run I need to right click on my computer > manage, browse to removable storage and then the tape drive. If I right click on the media and select ‘free’ I then have the option of running the backup (right click on the scheduled task and select run now)

I have done this with all the tapes but the same problem occurs every night. If I ‘free’ the media before the backup kicks in then the backup runs with the scheduled task as it should do.

Any suggestions? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Go to the scheduled task, edit it, and stick /um on the end of the NTBackup command line. If you don't have it on there already it might do the trick. It's the switch to make it an unmanaged backup so it won't ask for or require any interaction to run.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like that could help mate, not sure about the /P switch though, the server has an old travan tape drive.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs