problem with telewest connection

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by stewright83, Jul 10, 2007.

1. stewright83

stewright83 New Member

hi there, i need some help off you guys an you seem to know what to do.

i recently had telewest install at home and my laptop was away getting fixed so they hooked it up to my pc. now my laptop is back and i plug the modem in to the laptop network part in the back like they did with the pc it says limited or no connection.

any ideas on how to fix this problem?

ste

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you want both the PC and the laptop to be connected then you need to buy a *cable* router. I emphasise the cable bit - you *don't* want an ADSL router.

Cost will be about £20 or so.

When you change the device on the cable network it can sometimes take several hours for the system to recognize the new device, so this may be partly behind the problem you are having.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. stewright83

stewright83 New Member

not bothered if there both not connected as im waiting to get a wireless router. just when i unplug the cable from the pc an put it to the laptop i get that error. then plug it back in to the pc an it works fine again

thanks for the quick reply

ste

4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

can you plug the cable into the laptop and then

start->run and type "cmd" and hit enter

when the the command prompt opens type

"ipconfig" and press enter again

take note of IP address and the default gateway and post them here

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What you should do is power down the modem, then switch cables and then power up the modem up again, then you should pick up the IP address from telewest, well now virgin media :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. delboy

delboy Bit Poster

As above. You need turn off the cable modem from the mains. It stores the mac address of the NIC of the 1st PC it was connected to.

So when you connect to another pc/lappy with another NIC mac address it wont allow the connection to work.

A work around to this which will prevent you from powering down each time you want to switch is to clone the mac address onto the other pc/lappy you want to use.

There is software out there that can do this - it changes the software NIC mac address which is enough to enable you not to power down each time you want to swap.